power conditioner

dvdjazz

New here but is anyone useing power conditioner, with

there TH equipment in my room the lights blink.

Will power conditioner help?

Yamaha 596 HT receiver 5.1

Pioneer dv-503 dvd changer

RCA Directv Receiver

Samson 120 amp

Samson 1000 amp

JVC cd changer

Sony HiFi VCR

Zenith 52" Projection tv

Black Box

A line conditioner will only help for a few nanoseconds. The biggest benefit of one is to prevent current spikes from getting to your equipment. In your case it looks like you are having some current drops, the exact opposite.

For the price of a decent conditioner/spike protector ($200 to $,$$$) I think it would be money well spent to hire an electrician and have a seperate circuit (20 amp wouldn't be a bad idea) to your system or at least to that entire room. If your house is running a little short on incoming current by someone else's design then I would even consider an upgrade there too. For example: when I moved in to my house a few years ago it had all of 60 amps coming in to the service panel for a 1,300 sq./ft. home. In order to get my house refinanced it needed an inspection. Turns out the incoming wiring from the pole was....well....less than stellar and could soon cause a fire. Not to mention the screw in fuses we were going through by the box, and this was BEFORE I moved in the stereo!. We upgraded to 200 amps incoming and everything has been peachy ever since.

Warning!! If you live in an apartment or similar structure don't just go to the service box and pu tin a 20 amp breaker or fuse. The wiring may be too small handle it.

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 05-15-2002 at 10:43 AM

May I suggest going to neighborhood home improvement center and purchasing an inexpensive digital multimeter,got mine for $21. Take reading of your household current, then take a reading while the lights dim. This will provide you with some solid information to make decissions with!