Help. Found tube mono amp what brand is it?

arfz28

Help. In my dads basement, I found a mono tube amp. I found a sticker on it that says espey, I think it is the brand of the amp so does my dad. HE says he mail ordered it way back in the 50s. It has 1 audio input,on the front it says retma code-174, made in usa, 400324. it has 8 tubes 3 or missing, it has 3 capacitors,the audio output transformer has the numbers 15160 174404 and the power transformer has numbers b18,128 174414 on them. Dad thinks it had about 20 watts. Does anybody know anything about this, would it make a good center channel amp for a lascala between my k-horns. OR is it just a piece of junk.

Large, tall, round black can to one side at the corner? Could be an Espey 501. In pairs they are worth more. Might be useful as a sub amp with high efficiecy sub as a single unit? A NEW PAIR in ORIGINAL boxes just sold on ebaY for ~ $300. You won't retire off of it's sale.cwm1.gif

No digital camera, need to get one. Were these espey amps any good. I dont know if it would be worth restoring or not. ALL the tubes and parts are all on the top of the unit. Dad says it never had a cover on it when he bought it new.Is this amp good enough to power a lascala center channel, is it in the same ballfield as a old marantz, dynaco, or was espey tube amps kinda lets say, junky amps in there day.It is in good shape for its age not a dent on it. Is there a web site I can find, to see what I have? thanks for your input.

clean it up nice and replace the tubes

it's perfect for a la Scala center channel

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25f>s>SuperAmpf>s> - Sonic Frontiers Line 1 - Sony DVP-S9000ES - Klipsch RF7's

SVS 20-39 CS Plus - Samson S1000 - HSU Research elec. crossover - MIT/Monsters

f>s>

Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get outf>c>s>-- 2nd Law of Blissful Ignorancef>s>c>

Thanks Deang. Were can I get some new tubes at? Another problem 3 or missing and I wont know what kind goes into it. I would love to find out more about this amp, power rating ect. Anybody know someone that can work on this tube amp, I would love to see those tubes glowing again, My dad would really get a kick out of it.

tubes are tubes, just start plugging stuff in there until something works......

just kidding....I thought you were talking about cables.....

just kidding again.....

all kidding aside, see if this helps: (note the instructions for downloading a better and complete image, also check the homepage):

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Riders/showinfo.asp?PATH=EMI&IMG=_EMI_18-3.gif&INF=501

¥¨¥¨©??ed and ÚÒ?ÂÚÒ?Âed

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

This message has been edited by Clipped and Shorn on 05-16-2002 at 02:38 PM

The only person I would trust with this is Brent Jesse -- of Brent Jesse Recording.

I found all the tubes you need -- provided I read the schematic correctly.

email Brent here , and tell him you would like to buy the following:

One 5Y3/GT@ $11.00 each

One 7F7@ $8.00 each

One 7A6@ $3.00 each

One 6SQ7@ $4.50 each

Two 7C5@ $5.00 each

Two 6SN7@ $17.00 - $20.00 each

Shipping will be $4.80 with Priority Mail. So you are looking at $75. Not bad.

I'm not 100% sure which 6SN7 you can use. Clipped & Shorn, or someone else from this site probably knows for sure. Brent himself probably knows too. It may not even matter, hell, I don't know. It will be one of these two:

RC7 6SN7GT/A/B RCA blackplate, short glass envelope.

or

RCA6SN7GT blackplate Greyglass Various USA Brands (RCA or GE made) - older style 6SN7, mid to late 1940s. Medium glass envelope, grey inner glass coating (RCA made) or black coating (GE /KenRad made).

Good luck!

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25f>s>SuperAmpf>s> - Sonic Frontiers Line 1 - Sony DVP-S9000ES - Klipsch RF7's

SVS 20-39 CS Plus - Samson S1000 - HSU Research elec. crossover - MIT/Monsters

f>s>

Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get outf>c>s>-- 2nd Law of Blissful Ignorancef>s>c>

This message has been edited by deang on 05-16-2002 at 03:50 PM

OK Arfz28, since you do not have a camera or video you could capture the image of this beast, I will attempt to describe the 501 for youcwm15.gif . If you look at your amp with your "silver" can towards the left top/rear, your 3 caps should sit right in front of it? The leftmost one being smaller in size? In the middle there are 2 banks of 3 tubes running front to rear? On the top/front/right there is a "square" transformer with it's endcap facing upward and two identical tubes behind it side by side? The side that faces you, the output terminals are front/left(probably with an inscribed "Espey" in cursive above it), audio input front/center, power input just to the right of that and AC power sockets and linecord front/right? If so, it's probably a 501 which utilizes 4-6v6's, 2-6SN7GTA's and 2-5V4G's which equals 8. The 501 was built mid 50's for sure. If it's been sitting for as long as I think it has, you'll want to bring the amp up to power S-L-O-W-L-Y with a variac. Wear eye protection, a $150 amp isn't worth your vision.cwm1.gif

This message has been edited by SOUNDJUNKIE on 05-17-2002 at 04:37 PM