To Jub or not to Jub

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

I would have liked to listen to a set before making the committment, I know Krudet used to have Jubs in Montreal, which i think he sold.

Now I'm not even sure if there is even one pair around in canada at all.

For now i'm going to stick with the K-510/K69A and a K-703/K70G. I can pick up 402's later

Then I'd suggest you consider this....

Use just the 510/60 and cross them around 450 to the bass bin and 400 to the K510 and make them a 2-way

Sitting on axis, you might decide that's good enough. My opinion is the 402 starts to flex its muscles as you start to go off axis however, I don't know anything technical to back that up.

Bottom line to me is, if you already have the 510/69 why not make it a 2-way.

You will neverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

use the potential of the speaker as a 3-way in a residential application. Besides... the sound on the 2-way will gel much quicker and therefore much closer to the speaker than using a 3-way.

Of course, I don't know if you're planning on going active or passive. Have you decided that yet?

I would have liked to listen to a set before making the committment

I think that's certainly natural.

If it makes you feel any better, there are about 25 pair (factory) that I know of in a home application. Of those, to the best I can ascertain, only 10 have heard them prior to purchase (43%) and the balance (57%) took a leap of faith.

I know there are much more expensive toys out there but still.....for something as expensive as these, I think it's pretty interesting the number of Faith buyers (Kudret being one)

There are advantages to going with a two-way setup. The K-510 can handle the mids and highs without a problem and you would have fewer potential problems with fewer crossover points. Although, I would crossover to the K-510 at about 700 Hz or so (we can discuss this choice at another time).

There is no need to worry about the sensitivity of the K-510/K-69 horn/driver keeping up with the Jubilee bass bin. It is not a bad combination. The advantage of the K-402 horn (the big guy) will be most pronounced in smaller rooms. You may not have that problem.

agree with richard, and let me add, the KPT-335 HF/MF is not sensitive enough to mate well with the jubilee bass bin.

same k-510/k-69 others are suing on two way versions. I think you are talking k-69 in general since the k-402 was intended to be used with an 1133 on top of the jub bass bin. the k-402/k-69 and k-510/k-69 on the jub bass bin is a forum developed implementation. it was never offered as an off the shelf cenima solution.

Use just the 510/69 and cross them around 450 to the bass bin and 400 to the K510 and make them a 2-way

don't do this with a passive. you can only do this with a passive if you have a k-1133 or k-1132. if you run the k-69 at 450 with a passive you are going to deply cutting your power handling. the k-69 has a frequency response that begins at 500hz and has a recommended passive crossover frequency of 800hz. The K-69 was originally used as a tweeter in the cenima line up. when folks tell you to try lower cut off frequencies make sure they tell you whatt slope they are talking about. I had an email with Roy about using the k-69 at or below 500hz with a passive and he discouraged it and recommended the 1133 or 1132 instead. aside from that the 510 is a 500hz horn anyway....no point going below 500hz.

Although, I would crossover to the K-510 at about 700 Hz or so (we can discuss this choice at another time).

sounds good...it's 800hz with the 335 passive at 12db per octave. the jub bass bin can reach 1100hz before rolloff so it's all good.

same k-510/k-69 others are suing on two way versions. I think you are talking k-69 in general since the k-402 was intended to be used with an 1133 on top of the jub bass bin.

The K-69 is not the problem, it will keep up, the K-70 will not. I believe there is wording on the crossover that points to this as well.

For any home use, the k-69 with the 510 will hold up just fine crossed at 400 with the active settings. I would probably stay away from the crossover point with a passive.

The K-69 is not the problem, it will keep up, the K-70 will not. I believe there is wording on the crossover that points to this as well.

I remember the wording....it said when used with the 904LF's, the 904's would be -3db. Thats why an attenuator was added to the HF section (-3, -5, -7, -9) so that you can pick and chose your pre-sets based on which bass bin you wanted to use.

So if you put the 335's on top of 904's, you can set the attenuator to -3db and compensate for the indicated -3d difference of the 904s. the 335's with the on board passives are an off the shelf cinema solution for 904's.

if you put the 335's on some KPT-315-LF you would probably need to set the attenuator to -5 or -7 db.

I don't think you would need to set the attenuator at -3db with 415LF's or Jub bass bins. I would run them with no attenuation.

The attenuation is placed before the HF section of the passive , the selections effect both the MF and HF unit. For the belle experiment, I would put the passive attenuation to -7 or -9 db. Active is a different story and a whole set of new rules come into play based on the more agreesive slopes, delays, and other tweakables.

In this picture from the left you can see The Sydney Harbour Bridge in the background below the northern ramp for the ANZAC bridge and then the stage where Romeo is dead and Juliet is not at all happy.

This was "Shakespeare" at "Jubilee" oval in Sydney. It was on this night 14th January 2011 that I decided "TO" the answer to the question was "To Jub" [:D]

There was also some nice Red Wine involved.[D]

post-45280-1381968597053_thumb.jpg

Are you leaning towards active or passive?

If active, you can use the given paramaters for the K510 and later, if you get the K402, simply reprogram the active to work for the K402.

If you go passive, then you'll have to buy/build a crossover for the K510 version and later, the 402 version.

If you go passive, then you'll have to buy/build a crossover for the K510 version and later, the 402 version.

the 335 MF/HF unit comes with a passive crossover...so he has a passive already.

the 335 MF/HF unit comes with a passive crossover...so he has a passive already.

I didn't realize it had its own passive however, I'm operating under the presumption that he's going to be running this system as a 2-way. If that is an accurate presumption then I don't think he can use his current passive.

(right?)

I didn't realize it had its own passive however, I'm operating under the presumption that he's going to be running this system as a 2-way. If that is an accurate presumption then I don't think he can use his current passive.

(right?)

It sounds awesome as a three way....you active xover guys are the only ones pushing 2 way. He's all set with a klipsch OEM configuration. If I were him, I'd run with what he has they way it is setup.