New and need some advice

JR1987

I've been slowly planning to build a stereo system for a few years now. The setup I have no is very cheap, let's just say it was built on a budget. The most expensive piece is my pair of Sennheiser HD 598's, the rest is pretty cheap (Sony receiver just to give you an idea).

I am looking to start off by buying a good pair of speakers and I've decided that Klipsch seems to be the best bet. Now I like the traditional old style, like the Cornwall, big; don't know why, looks cool? So I have been looking at used speakers and came across a pair most likely from the late 80s, Cornwall's, and was a bit concerned about over paying for them. The exterior is rough, but nothing a little refinishing can't handle (torn grill, a few chips, etc). I haven't heard them yet, but they are in town so I have the chance to make sure they still work properly. They guy is asking 750, now I've seen almost mint condition speakers in and around that time period going for 700+, but like I said these are rough. Am I wrong on the price?

I've also found a pair of Heresy II's for 700 bucks in much better condition and in overall better shape. Again, in the area.

Advice on pricing, qualities of each, and what I should look for when looking at a used pair of speakers appreciated.

• Moderators

Welcome

Others will give some ideas also but to me I think your right that's high for that condition Cornwall, also high for the Heresy ll.

Where do you live ? Is it somewhere where Klipsch pops up occasionally ? If so I would hold off a little while but you are on the right track. Age does not make much difference with Klipsch even older models should at the most need some new caps in the crossovers to sound like new if all drivers are working.

The Cornwall's will have alot more bass than the Heresy, both will have great midrange and high frequencies. The LaScala sounds even better but still not as much bass as the Cornwall and a little more expensive.

If you run across Forte's or Chorus models you should also go listen.

Look around and ask about whatever model comes up for sale, every one will give you there honest opinion, they may not match but overall you will not go wrong. [Y]

First off, welcome to the forum. We're glad you're here.

I'd probably go for the Cornwalls, if everything works. Check the tweeters in particular. See if the guy will come down a bit - say, $600 or $650. See if the guy will take the backs off - everything should say "Klipsch" on it.

Go with a friend to hear them - particularly if the friend is big and looks like he could have a bad attitude. There have been several instances of late of fake listings where the potential customer (that's you) goes to the given address only to get jumped, robbed and beat upside the head. So go with your instinct. If things don't feel right, they probably aren't.

But I digress. The Cornwalls have a much better low end than the Heresies. They go louder, too. $700 is a bit much for thirty year old Heresies.

I hope this helps. Virtually anything will drive Cornwalls - even a Sony receiver. Only problem is any flaws will be magnified.

Chicago, a few have poped up on Craiglist but they are around the same price, that or they are still new enough where the price is so close to a new pair that I might as well buy the new pair.

I offered the guy 600 and he hasn't responded back. Like I told him, when I looked at that model year mint (as in need no work) were going for about 700 dollars. I figured it was a too high, but some people think what they have is worth more than what it's actually worth. If the grill was in good shape cab didn't look so worn, I'd probably give him 700 (if all the internals were in good order).

Edit: have some experience with Craiglist, never go alone, and never go into someone's house. Very good advice for anyone.

If the Corns are in rough shape the price may be high. You might make an offer and see what happens.

Visually inspect for damage as you have done and ask for a demo. I'd want to listen to them before buying.

Both heresy's and corns are great speakers, i've owned heresy's but not corns. have listened to corns multiple times. They are a step up on the ladder but they are quite a bit larger and this may be worthy of consideration depending on your space.

Advice on pricing is difficult. Depends on availability in your area and demand of course. I think that the depressed prices of the last couple of years may be coming to an end. But what do i know.

Don't worry youself to death about spending $50 or $100 too much. If this is a hobby you enjoy and you plan to keep the equipment for years, the price you paid won't be as big of a concern 5 years down the road. If you want to shop for 6 months or a year to save $50, ok, i'd rather be listening to great music 6 months earlier.

Good luck!

• Moderators

Go with a friend to hear them - particularly if the friend is big and looks like he could have a bad attitude. There have been several instances of late of fake listings where the potential customer (that's you) goes to the given address only to get jumped, robbed and beat upside the head. So go with your instinct. If things don't feel right, they probably aren't.

Great advice there Captn. [Y]

Also if you go audition any speakers bring a towel or something you can hold over the midrange so you can put your ear up to the tweeter to make sure it's working and the same for the midrange, covering the tweeter.

Now that I never thought about. I have plenty of experience with guitar amps, but very little with stereo speakers. Good info, thanks guys. I don't mind waiting to find the right pair. One thing I learned during my decade of playing guitar, never settle. Buy what you want, or wait until you can.

I bought so many "intermediate" guitars when I was young... I would have had my Gibson 4 years earlier if I just waited and saved my pennies. That's the plan here, I've been tempted several times to just buy cheaper speakers... for now... and get better ones later. But I'd rather save the money now and get the right pair. I think 750 is a little too high, Chicago is a city where finding something is not that hard. There are plenty of fish in the sea, and if worse comes to worse then I'll just save my pennies and dimes and buy a new pair ;) . Not married, so I gotta get all my goodies before I do... before the fun ends.

Chicago is a large enough area that I would wait. Deals will be popping up. IMO, $700-1000.00 for a set of Cornwalls that don't have any real cosmetic damage (maybe a water stain on top from a beverage) is a reasonable price. From there, I would deduct based on known needed work. Heresy IIs in great cosmetic condition ought to be closer to $500.00. Heresey I's are probably a little more sought after.

The damage to these is a bit more than a water stain. I can see a few chips in the cab and the seller has said the grill is ripped up quiet a bit.The one pair that is 750 is fairly beat up, there is another pair in almost perfect condition that is 1100 dollars.

I think I am going to keep shopping. The guy hasn't come back with another offer so I take it he either isn't interested or sold them off already.

Last question, I promise ;). I am currently looking at a pair of Klipsch Heresy II speakers that I could pick up used. They are aesthetically in very good condition (woofer cone on one pushed in slightly), mid 80s.

It's at an estate sale in the area and I may run into other bidders. Presuming the speakers are in good working condition and need minimal attention, what is the highest I should go before bidding has become out of control?

By the way, very helpful forum and good members. I've participated on many and I must say by far this is the most helpful and friendly forum I have participated on.

FYI - I have owned both cornwall 1's and still own a set of H2's. The cornwall is a great speaker but for my listening room of 12x12 they were overkill, I sold a really nice set for 700.00 that were in almost perfect shape I replaced them with Forte 2's. The H2's that I currently own I bought them for 400.00 and they are as close to perfect as you can get, no nicks or scratches, pushed in cones, nothing they look brand new. The seller was the original purchaser he even gave me the original purchase receipt. Anyway depending on the size of your room will yield different results, this is what I have learned over the past two years. Bigger in this case my not be better those lil H2's I have sound wonderful with the upgraded bob crites xovers and titanium tweeter diaphrams!! Good luck in your journey!

"The H2's that I currently own I bought them for 400.00 and they are as close to perfect as you can get, no nicks or scratches, pushed in cones, nothing they look brand new"

FYI . . . Very similar to my experience two months ago. Found H ll's for $400 in Huntsville, AL (Craigslist) - excellent to mint condition.