AVR question

JasonJCarney

I have my bedroom avr setup in a hidden cabinet behind a mirror so remotes won't operate it. I had planned on using my onkyo HT RC 180. However I ended up throwing my 509 in there until the 3008 came in for the HT. Well while the 509 was in there I noticed something cool. When I turn turn the tv on the 509 turns on automatically. Now I have no IR signal to the 509 (completely blocked). It also allows me to use the volume. When I did get a chance to move the HT rc 180 in it did not have the same capability. My question is this: What is the technology called that allows the remote to work through the HDMI cable?

There's something similar I turned off. I go downstairs to prime a Bluray for movie night, finally get to the splash screen after skipping over a bunch a previews (why do they disable the menu button during previews!!!)and turn off the plasma to avoid burn-in while i wait for the family... and the bluray turns off as well!!! I turned that *feature* off quickly!