auto eq question?

abjonesiii

I admit I really don't understand the whole eq thing. I currently run an Onkyo tx-sr876 with audessy multiEq that is supposedly doing "room corrections" to help offset my odd shaped HT. But I am really curious about the soon to be Emotiva XMC-1. I know Emotiva uses Emo-Q. Question is does Emo Q do any of the supposed "room corrections"?

That may be a dumb question but for all I know there could be a freak'n unicorn in my avr...

Automatic setups such as Audyssey, YPAO, Emo-Q, etc. do several things. One thing they do is measure how far away your speakers are from your main listening position. They also determine the low end capability of each speaker you're using. Another adjustment made is to balance each speaker to all the other speakers so that each is equally as loud. Most automatic setups will also measure each speaker's in-room frequency response and raise or lower certain frequencies to reduce peaks and boost dips in the speaker's output.

When I've used pre-amps/receivers with automatic setups I've generally used them for distance and speaker balancing and turned off any automatic EQ that they calculate.

• Moderators

To answer your question regarding EmoQ, in my setup, it wasn't too accurate and didn't sound that great. It was a starting point but I have to tweek it quite a bit. I'm sure the Audessey and YPAO are much better. Will that change with the XMC-1, not sure. Would be great if they do.