Whats more important? Audio or video?

Kain

Having had similar problems with the pizza, cookie dough syndrome...I still haven't conquered the need to keep the TV running while listening to tunes. And I really do miss the the channels that just play the black and white static. In many respects, it beats the heck out of prime time progamming...cwm14.gif

Thanks for the comment John. I think I was 8 or 10 years old when I first saw it on Black and White TV.

It is interesting to observe how many plot elements were used in later sci-fi stories.

Gil

I would have to say its a balancing act.

If the sound is bigger than the picture or the speakers cannot keep up with the visuals, the imaging will be mismatched.

Larger screens need larger speakers. Video covering a large space needs sound covering a loud space. The challenges involved matching audio to a large video image are much more involved. Sound coming from a small point in space will work with a small screen, but not a large one. Dispersion angle,

I have used front projectors for video at 100" (the size of 4 50" screens). The larger the video, the more complicated the sound becomes. When I used a 27" previously, the sound overwhelmed the image. I would go for large CRT based (DLP and LCD still look to mechanical and grainy) front projectors first. You can get used ones on Ebay that are HDTV compatible for around $1000. Use this as a foundation and develope the audio to fit the image. It is more difficult the other way around.

I would upgrade equally

This might be biased because of my undergrad degree in media with a concentration in film and former work in video. People with more audio experience will be motivated the other way.

Yes you can listen to the audio when the video is off, but, late at night, you can watch the video with headphones and not disturb anyone.

Just my thoughts.

I'll throw my vote to the "audio" camp. Like Quiksr20, I am living with a "vintage" 27" TV, ProScan, and it has been working fine. But my audio is where it's really at! I love the slam of big speakers and the "being there" sound they produce, ala HornEd.

As I watch a letterbox DVD, I engross myself in the soundtrack and barely notice how much of the screen is blacked out by the bars. Granted, I am sure it would be an even better experience with a RPTV or a projector, but for now, the video suits me fine. And as I listen to CDs, I really enjoy the outstanding sound all 7 speakers present. If they were crappy speakers, I'd be unhappy.

And as Gil so adeptly put it, the sound can enhance the viewing pleasure. I noticed the same experience with ST:TNG between crappy TV speakers and a modest HT.