Klipsch too efficient for Audyssey

chambers1517

I fought Audyssey for a few months as well. I have a Denon 4311, LaScala's across the front and Chorus's for rears. Audyssey cut everything to the max, except for my center and my sub. And in the end it made my sub almost non existent which was frustrating since it worked so well with my previous non Audyssey Receiver. After Audyssey ran, the trim levels didnt bother me much because as long as I moved them all the same amount it didnt affect anything that I could physically hear except for the sub. It was also a little strange having to turn the receiver up to 80% or so to get to a decent sound level. Anyhow, the main thing that made my sub work as it should was setting the X-over on my fronts to 80HZ. I know the LaScala's start heading south somewhere in that area but it still bothered me knowing I was cutting a little content at that level from them. Doing this made a world of difference and I was able to keep my rears X over set to 40HZ which the Chorus's are ok with. Its aggravating I cant get full low cycle content to my mains and the sub without doing this, but I must say it sounds very good now.

On another note. I also had issues with Audyssey wanting to jack up the EQ levels from the response graphs taken from my LaScalas. The Chorus's were fairly flat, like my C7 Center, but in the upper mid and tweeter range it wanted to jack it all up as well. I updated the Caps in my crossovers and updated the tweeters to the Crites 125's and Audyssey finally chilled out some. Im guessing Audyssey was wanting some response with its test tone past 16K HZ which the factory tweeters dont carry past much. I put the Crites 125's in and the EQ graphs toned down a lot in the 15-20K HZ range, but were boosted a little higher in the 10-12K range as compared to the factory tweets.. All in all things are much smoother now. IMO, Audyssey is not what its all cracked up to be due to limiting the user's abilities.. Having said that it does make a remarkable difference, especially in my odd shaped room above my garage which has various sloping, angled walls.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic