Garage (Barage) System - Advice needed

Hoenig

I am finishing my garage and getting close to painting. I have will have 2 HD TV's on my main wall. I have ran HDMI cords to low voltage boxes mounted where I want my TV's. I have speaker wire ran (inside the wall - 5.1) with ALL cable coming out at a single point where I plan to have a small component rack.

This all being said, I am wanting to keep it real small and real simple. I will have (2) independent HD Cable boxes - so I can watch two different games at once.

Anyone have advice on receiver recomendations, small speaker recomendations, and hook up/set up? I need to keep the speakers (especially the center) small when it comes to depth as it will not be recessed into my wall.

Any problems you all see? (wiring is my main concern) and suggestions are appreciated!

I would post a couple of pics and list the TV sizes and what your expectations are which can't be much since you got kicked out of the house and into the garage to watch TV. [:P] All kidding aside is this really just a place to watch games in 5.1, in which case I don't think you need to get nuts with either the speakers or the receiver, assuming that you're going to connect both cable boxes (audio) to the one receiver and assign the inputs based on the type of audio out's you have available on the cable boxes. (That info or a pic would help too). I would really stay focused on what you're going to be doing with the set up 90% of the time; meaning that if occasionally you are going to just play some music through the cable source, don't state that I'm going to listen to music too, or we'll blow your budget and tell you to put a set of Jubs for your mains and hang a Cornwall on the wall for your center and that you'll need at least a couple of subs that are as big as a compact car.

Yeah, it's just an extension of my main room. The garage is attached to my basement (where my Forte Set up is). The garage system is just for the "wow factor" of my home made sports bar. The TV's will be cheap 46" LCD's. Mainly for sports. As far as sound goes, I think I can handle picking out speakers. My main question/concern is wiring. Considering I will have 2 HD Cable Boxes, I was wondering the best way to hook that up. Obviously the video will be via HDMI. Should I buy a receiver that is anything special (passthrough/upconversion, etc) or just go with a cheap 5.1 receiver that I can hook a toslink digital cable from the cable box to receiver for sound? I don't want to waste money on things I will never use. I will never have a "listening session" in my garage. Audio quality is not going to be that big of a deal.

If it were you, how would you run a room with 2 TV's, one receiver, 5 speakers, and 2 cable boxes? Specific details (toslink, HDMI, HDMI splitter, inputs, outputs, etc) would be helpful.

If I understand correctly, the receiver will be selecting audio corresponding to the which monitor (TV) you wish while both monitor's video remain live. I think I would run video from cable boxes to monitors using HDMI and then run audio output back from each monitor back to receiver via digital coax. You could then quickly switch audio source without switching video (and having the HDMI handshake black you out momentarily).

Cable box 1 > hdmi > TV 1; TV-1 > digital audio cable > receiver input (TV for example)

Reapeat above for cable box 2 and audio input to receiver at aux, DVD or whatever.

Using HDMI vs component, DVI etc would also allow use of TV without recevier if you desire.

If I understand correctly, the receiver will be selecting audio corresponding to the which monitor (TV) you wish while both monitor's video remain live. I think I would run video from cable boxes to monitors using HDMI and then run audio output back from each monitor back to receiver via digital coax. You could then quickly switch audio source without switching video (and having the HDMI handshake black you out momentarily).

Cable box 1 > hdmi > TV 1; TV-1 > digital audio cable > receiver input (TV for example)

Reapeat above for cable box 2 and audio input to receiver at aux, DVD or whatever.

Using HDMI vs component, DVI etc would also allow use of TV without recevier if you desire.

I agree, keep it simple and there's no reason to even run the video signal through the receiver, the HDMI will let you have everything at the TV including using the TV speakers if you have a reason to and again, I would just feed the audio from the best output source from the cable box (assuming optical or digital coax) and buy a simple 5.1 receiver that has multiple and assignable digital inputs so you're just selecting between sources for the audio. You can probably pick up a great quality 5.1 receiver used that doesn't have HDMI for next to nothing because most people want 7.1 or better now and have to have HDMI and you really don't so you could end up with a great receiver too.

What would be the easiest way to hook up a PS3 into this system? That is where I think the HDMI receiver would be better considering I have ran the HDMI cables before we hung the drywall (only wires ran to component rack).

Reason for the PS3 is CD player, DVD concert, and possible game here and there. Suggestions on how to hook up?

I will sell you 5 X Paradigm Cinema 220 v.3's for $400 plus shipping. They listed for $200 each new. I'll include all the hangers and brackets I have for them. I was using them in my shop, and they weren't big enough for the space, so I replaced them with La Scalas. My shop listening area is 50' X 60' X 20' high! They did pretty damn well, though. They have been collecting dust for 8 months. They are in 9/10 condition.

They can be hung vertically or horizontally. They can also be placed on a shelf.

pm me.

You may laugh at this (haven't done much research yet), BUT - how do they compare to the Klipsch Synergy Quintet III 5 speaker set up?

Care to give me your thoughts?

Synergy Quintet is mid-fi of the Klipsch lines. The Paradigm Cinema series speakers are high-fi home theater speakers. I am not saying they are audiophile. The top Paradigm bookshelf speakers are a grand a piece. The Quintets are more like a computer speaker. They are small, and have a small sound. A great deal of engineering went into designing the Cinema 220's. I'm not sure what more to say, except that I have a set of smaller Paradigm Cinema speakers in my 2nd TV room, and they are comparable to my KG 4.2 and 2.5 setup in the front room. These 220's would be equals KG setup I believe. The main difference being that the Cinema rely more no the sub than do the kg 4.2'S.

• 2 weeks later...