Heresy I and Heresy II A/B comparison and question

Khodabear

Ok - so I have the 1's and also a pair of 2's. Today I recapped the Type C crossover in one of the 1's and then A/B tested it next to one of the 2's. The 2's have not been recapped. Test was done with a Harmon Kardon A500 tube amp sourcing both vinyl and digital music of various types. I am adjusting for the fundamental difference between the two sets...the 1's are Walnut and the 2's are Birch.

I'll be doing further A/B tests tomorrow. The recapped 1 next to an untouched 1...an untouched 1 next to the 2. But I believe these comparisons will be subtle vs the glaring difference of the 1 and 2 that I experienced today.

To me they both offered similarly decent bass. In previous threads on this subject - including the lengthy Mod post - it was pointed out that the bass isn't punchy - slammin' I believe was the term used. True. The bass more round. The addition of a sub woofer brings out the kick drums and very low bass found - IMO - in more contemporary music, but overall I found the bass very pleasant.

The 1's have a softer, more blended, sound while the squaker practically leaps out of the 2. It's almost uncomfortably pronounced. Like listening to a stage sound system rather than a home speaker.

So... is the 2 what a good speaker should sound like? Have I been mislead by mushy speakers all my life? Because I kinda prefer the sound of the 1. Is there a crossover mod for the 2 that would tame the squaker - or should I learn to appreciate the dominate midrange of the 2?

This, by the way, is a delightful dilemma :~)

find a pair of H3 ro listen to. If you like them and I cant see why you would not like them you can either buy a set of you can take your H2 and buy an upgrade kit to H3status from Klipsch. The H3 goes deeper plays louder is mor efficient and has a betterwoofer better tweeter is fittedwith all titaniumcompression driver diaphragms. There you go a better Heresy. You can adhyst the K701 level in your H2 There have been some threads recently one or two still active. Search the archive. Best regards Moray James.

I agree and plan to do so...but I didn't want to open them up till I'd done the other comparisons. I need to see what's inside for crossover before ordering caps. I learned that lesson with my 1's :~)

Good to hear, though, that the overbearing midrange is congenital and that caps can correct it - as opposed to - that's what you get .

My take... having IIs while my son has the originals. The HIIs are far more balanced, with the midrange not as in your face. This makes them, to me, easier to listen to, and not as bass shy. YMMV [:(]

No... I'm ordering parts for my crossovers this week, so well see what I think after the update.

Bruce

Yup, but that's how they sounded in my room.

Now, the Heresy speakers have been modded ...

Port in the cabinet, a five inch direct radiator/tractrix horn combo for the mids and a CT125 tweeter from Bob. Sounds really good now.

I'mm really anxious to get the HII crossovers done. All new parts, but the same specs as the old ones.

Bruce

Bruce: your Heresy project sounds very interesting. I am about to begin a rebuild of a pair of new H3 and replacing the K701 is number one on the list. I have been considering other mid horn options. I like the new tweeter lens on the H3 but I would also like to hear a T35 (K77) lens fitted to a K79 motor with Ti diaphragm. I am even considering going two way. I would love to see any pictures you have and hear about them here or via PM which ever works for you. Thanks for mentioning your work. Best regards Moray James.

Thank you Bruce. Youur sons project sounds interesting. Did he swap out to a larger mid horn? I have been thinking about a set of CF3 horns which I have or there is a JBL Clone which is a little large than the CF3 horn which parts express sells for only $13.50 each. Those are almost to inexpensive not to try. Two way is very attractive, it does require expensive wide band drivers but if I buy them used not too bad as far as project cost goes. Best regards Moray James.

Well this is interesting. A/B test of the recapped Heresy 1 and the stock Heresy 1.

I cannot discern any difference, unless it's that the stock speaker sounds a bit...better.

This round of A/B also included a frequency sweep test I found on You Tube. The performance of the two was practically identical.

Go figger.

Alot of times it's the ear of the listener. Accuracy is what you will look for. Do an A/B with headphones vs the Heresy's and see what you think. There are some "mods" that really make the Heresy "sing".

Seal the backs with speaker gasket tape, leaving NO gaps. Also consider replacing the old K-77's with CT-125's, or at least borrowing a pair for a test.

Another issue with H's is that the K-22 woofers in the H-I's were very good, but the K-24's not so much. The cone material in the woofers simply gets old and is not as "stiff" as it should be. I ended up replacing all the K-22/24s in my Heresy's with K-28/CW-1228's. The difference was audible and the bass less "smeared"; more crisp, if you will.

Sounds like you are having fun as it is!! [Y]

[H]