New Preamp

rowooo

Well after months of research and driving myself nuts I finally bought a new preamp. I found a used, but totally mint Mcintosh C-15. It arrived just the other day so I haven't had a lot of listening time yet. This piece is absolutely beautiful and is built like a tank. I could just turn down the lights and stare at the glass front panel and get goose bumps. O.K. for the sound. First thing I notice compared to my old Adcom was a more defined/pronounced low frequency. I wouldn't say the bass is tighter there just seems to be more of it. Second thing is the midrange, where there is more depth and space in the soundstage. It does seem like the Mac rolls off the high frequencies compared to my old Adcom but that could just be the Mac is just a warmer sounding unit, or the Adcom is just a tad bright. Either way, I'm totally happy with my new unit and I can't wait to do more listening. Later

Welcome to the Mac family!! About that warmer sound; just let your ears adjust to it for a month or so. Sometimes my 20 year old C-33 will run me out of the room with HF. And ot think before this set-up I had the treble on a Carver Receiver and the EQ almost maxed out. But that was on some 87db Technics R&B speakers.

I agree with you that the looks of the face plates on Mac equipment is just plain killer. Using glass was a very classy touch to match the sound.

See if it sounds like it is going down an extra 1/2 octave or so, mine sure sounds like it.

Nows the time to re-discover your whole music collection!

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

Rowooo

sounds great! I'm looking for a new preamp in the future also! Two questions..

1. Does the Mac have tone controls??

2. Which Adcom preamp were you using previously??

Thanx!

Steve

------------------

Happiness is coming

Steve, the Mac does have a bass and a treble control. However the tone control circuit elements are totally removed from the signal path when you have the control in the center detent/flat position. That's the way I have been running mine, although on a few recordings I might bump up the treble a tad. I was using the GTP-600 which ran around 1,100.00 new. I only used the Adcom for two channel and I always bypassed the tone controls on that to. I've only been using the Mac for a few days but it beats my old Adcom in most areas. It also has mm phono and a remote. It's 1,500 new but I got mine for considerable less. Like Tblasing stated, there's just something about those glass fronts. Really killer looks........