Sub wooffer Queation

Framer

I have a klipsh kw 15 II . Is it better to run a Y off the reciever sub out then a dual wire to the sub, or run a single wire out of the reciever then Y into the sub ? My sub doesn't seem to put out much and if I turn the gain up to much it pops. I have a pardigm pdr10 that seems to put out more bass and I'm trying to tell if the kw15 is in need of work. There is a dual cable going into it right now Y from the reciever.

DAC

You can raise the gain on the sub amp or in the receivers sub menu if you need more bass. Changing the cabling to the sub is not going to increase the max output of the sub. That's determined by the amp, driver and enclosure. If you turn the gain up and the sub pops, you may be overdriving it and possibly damaging it. If you need more bass than that, you may need a different sub.

It seems to be very touchy even at low volume levels. It has been that way since I bought it. I am just trying to figure out if it is damaged or is a klipsh kw15 just not as deep in the bass area. The sub rattles or kinda pops even in a kinda quiet but bassy time in a movie. It is anoying when watching a movie. I would like to figure it out.

Seems the noise is kinda in between. I took the sub apart today nothing smells burnt. The speakers cones seem very smooth and the rubber is fine. The only thing is that it isn't relly lined that well. It's a 20x20x25 box with 15 inch speaker and a passive radiator in the back. It only had a roll of foam the dia. of the speaker inside it, from powered to passive. I don't know if that could affect it's preformance if I were to take the foam out and open up more of the box. The foam isn't that dense I don't know.

Seems the noise is kinda in between. I took the sub apart today nothing smells burnt. The speakers cones seem very smooth and the rubber is fine. The only thing is that it isn't relly lined that well. It's a 20x20x25 box with 15 inch speaker and a passive radiator in the back. It only had a roll of foam the dia. of the speaker inside it, from powered to passive. I don't know if that could affect it's preformance if I were to take the foam out and open up more of the box. The foam isn't that dense I don't know.

When you took it apart, did you discover what was rattling inside? The foam is supposed to be in there.

Did you get any DeoxIT, and clean the potentiometers and the several RCA ends you are using to connect the system up?

See if it does the same thing if you set the sub to ON instead of auto. I know sometimes when I didn't feed My KSW 200 12" enough when set to auto it would cut off and on at times depending on the bass content.. When mine was doing that it kinda sounded like what your describing.. I think if your 15" sub was bottoming out it would be so loud it would scare the bejeebers out of you..Kinda like a gun shot! George

I'm not sure what you mean by set to auto. My sub has an on off switch and three potentiometers phase,lpf and gain. My Marantz av reciever has a sub setting for Hz. in the menue I don't think ya mean that. The rattle or poping isn't loud at all it happents even at low volume if I turn the gain up.

Guess my KSW 200 is little different they your KS 15 My KSW 200 has a three way power switch full up is ON halfway down if OFF and full down is AUTO ON.. Auto is the setting I use as my sub will see the signal from receiver and turn it self on... Maybe your sub works the same way only in the ON setting.. In any case what I was describing was from the auto sensing signal that the sub uses to turn itself on and sometimes when there is not enough base content along with Bass management setting it can cause some of the sounds you here by turning the sub on and off by it self.

I had a Infinity 10" sub for a few years when it's woofer went bad. I flipped the sub on it's back so the woofer was facing up checked the suspension to make sure it was smooth "it was". I then decided to audition the sub while it was like that.. I could play some test waves through it and sure enough the woofer was bad. mine didn't pop it just had a rattle to it at some of the lower fqs.. At the time Infinity sent me a new driver.. they looked my old one over and said it was a factory defect in it. Something about the gluing of the spider to the coil in it. Being I could not have causes it there was no cost to me. hope some of this info is useful to you in some way! George

P.S. give klipsch a call and have a tech walk you through testing it a bit..