Changing KLF Diaphragm

Rivernuggets

Finally replaced the mid diaphragms with new ones from Klipsch today. There was still some buzzy distortion in the same speaker starting at around 80 decibels. Took the mid horn out again to somehow troubleshoot this stupid buzz.

Noticed a crack in the mid horn where it connects to the driver, close to half the circumference. It's like the driver's threads combined with the teflon tape caused the plastic to crack. I didn't notice it when removing it the first time.....not sure if I was the cause of it breaking or not. It flexed enough to get some Loctite PL Premium in there. We'll see if it holds, though I think it will split the same when attaching to the driver. Going to post a WTB thread for another mid horn in the Garage Sale section. I hope this is/was the cause of the buzz:

post-34666-13819691908068_thumb.jpg

a plastic instant adhesive would likely have been your best choice, I use Loctite Black Max whic worked perfectly but it is ecpensive and only availbe in a one ounce as the smallest volume.Klipsch will sell you a brand new one of these lenes for $20.00 so just buy a new one unless you can fine a good used one for less. Best regards Moray James.

drill some holes just small enough for you to screw some machine screws into the holes (so the thread just bites) then lock up with washers and a lock washer and a nut looks like a couple should do you should be stronger than new. Do that before you crack the joint s open again. There is no cleaning out the adhesive you have in there now so a mechanical reinforcement to the joint is your best option. I did this with mine as a saftey factor. I used four SS machine screws.Best regards Moray James.