KG 5.5 driver resistance

USNRET

I am on the hook to go check out some KG 5.5 speakers this Friday. A guy I owe a favor to is considering the purchase of a pair of black ash 5.5s or black vinyl KM-6s (military version of 5.5 )and he has one of the pair at his house for a test drive. He tells me that he un-hooked a set of booos 401s and connected the Klipsch and had to turn up the volume a lot to be equal.

I'm wondering what the drivers should check out at with a DVM (xovers disconnected from circuit). All I know is that he stated that woofers were moving and he had been advised that he needed bigger speaker wire [^o)].

At least it's free beer [:)] and if interested I can buy the remaining pair (swap these for my son's Heresy and keep the Heresy to match with the new MC- 2505). The plural is hard for me to look at!

I have a pair of KG 5.5's a I bought awhile back as maybe I can shed some light uopn your situation. As posted "He tells me that he un-hooked a set of booos 401s and connected the Klipsch and had to turn up the volume a lot to be equal". Well in essence I can somewhat agree with that statement as I did not compare the KG's to Bose but to a pair of Bic Pl-76 towers ( now used as surrounds). Even thou the KG's are rated pretty high for sensitivity (98db @ 1w /meter) the Bics I have would should a bit louder at lower volume, the Bics are rated 96db @ 1w/meter. I recently replaced the tweeters and crossovers with Bob Crites items as I did not notice a "night & day differance" as some have experianced but what I did notice was a much better sound feild in mids & highs... 2ch stereo that is. The titanium tweeter replacements produced a much smoother high than the originals as I believe the new cross overs gave it a better mid feild.

As far as the drivers go, if you are able to use a muliti meter to test them they should have a reading of 7.6 to 8.1 as that was the readings I got after testing all four. THe KG's do sound better the more power you give them so I will give the advantage to the KGs over the Bics but then again the Bics produce a bit more sound and lower volume.

As far as speaker wire goes, I would reccomend a 14ga wire, you can use a 12 if you want or have a longer run but I dont think you are going to notice a differnace at all.

Well I made it over the other night to give the 5.5s a listen. They were connected to an older non-descript AVR, placed about 5-6 feet apart beside the TV angled from a room corner. The sound was not good at all. I listened to all the drivers and they were all working. I stuck my head back into the empty triangle form by the two walls and TV/speakers; there was an incredible amount of booming bass rolling around in that trapped area.

We discussed changing the room set up...no go. We discussed moving the speakers out into the room and listening to them with a Marantz receiver I brought over...too much trouble.

We removed ourselves out to the garage and drank beer while listening to a laptop thru a micro 2.1 system from the good Dr. from MA.

The next weekend I had the same group come over and listen to the tubes and Belles. They agreed but could only stop by for a few minutes at 3 PM cause they had dinner dates with the wives. They came at 2:30 PM and left about 3:00 AM the next morning seeming to like the sound.