Stereolist.com - An Audiogon Alternative

AnalogWave

I hadn't gone looking for alternatives to Audiogon just yet but read of Stereolist.com on this forum, so I created an account (#832) there last night.

First, it's important to note that they have a "Feedback Verification Form" which allows you to import your feedback from the following: 1) eBay 2) Audiogon 3) Polk Forum 4) Head Fi. Very cool.

It looks like they went live 10/27/2010, so they haven't exactly been growing fast but I'm sure they're getting a nice boost in membership since the Jan 7/8 meltdown at Audiogon. That is likely to continue, especially considering their pricing model:

Basic Listings

FREE …5-day basic Stereolisting

FREE – any legally published recording or Wanted ad

$1.00 …31-day basic Stereolisting (bumped to top every 10 days)

$+3.00 Featured Stereolisting (shown in Featured Sidebar on Search
pages, Category pages (respective), and all individual Stereolisting
pages)

Premium Listings

$10.00 Featured Stereolisting 60-day* (contact us – not yet available in your Dashboard)

$30.00 Featured Stereopick 30-day (currently $25)* (contact us – not yet available in your Dashboard)

*will bump to top automatically each week and one day before expiration.

There are no “final value fees”. Stereolist.com will never demand commissions based on your components’ sale price.

The site is easy enough to navigate and is pretty clean in my opinion BUT... I am experiencing difficulty actually seeing ads (!) I thought at first it was because I wasn't a member but even when I'm logged in and go to the home page of listings, all I see is grey boxes with no text (I assume there should be text in them) that I can't click on. There are other photo banner ads I can click on to see items for sale but that's all that works for me. I use Firefox as my primary browser but also tried Safari to same effect. Shut down my software Firewall thinking that may be killing some funtionality but no love. I haven't yet torn in the preferences of either browser but it's strange that whatever my settings are now work with every other site I visit.

Ideers anybody?...

Got an almost immediate reply from Support. The guy is traveling so only had a brief suggestion which didn't resolve my issues but he plans to investigate further once in front of a computer. When I've more time I'll refire the Fox w/o Add-ons to see what that does. Also got a windows box lying around somewhere I can try IE on. Gotta' go play outside now though [:D]

OK... even though I'm currently using a Macintosh, I imagine what I've discovered would apply to any platform as long as Firefox is the browser in use.

In the "Help" menu of FF is the option to restart the program in "Safe Mode", which has the effect of disabling all the Add-ons the user has installed. With this done, I was able to see and experience the full functionality of the Stereolist.com site. I sent a list of my installed Add-ons to their Support but I'll eventually get around to figuring out which of them (most likely one of the Ad Blockers) is causing the problem.

Badazz little site. Who wants to loan me 10k to further my Audio Education?

OK... even though I'm currently using a Macintosh, I imagine what I've discovered would apply to any platform as long as Firefox is the browser in use.

In the "Help" menu of FF is the option to restart the program in "Safe Mode", which has the effect of disabling all the Add-ons the user has installed. With this done, I was able to see and experience the full functionality of the Stereolist.com site. I sent a list of my installed Add-ons to their Support but I'll eventually get around to figuring out which of them (most likely one of the Ad Blockers) is causing the problem.

Badazz little site. Who wants to loan me 10k to further my Audio Education?

The check is in the mail. Keep an eye out for it.

Tom

So looking at the filters in Adblock Plus is mind-numbing to say the least. Turns out in the more recent versions of Adblock Plus it places a little red stop sign icon in the Navigation Toolbar (top-right corner of the tab or page). I've never had to use it before (whitelist a sight), so I forgot the bugger was there. Simply click on it and there is an option to disable all filtering for the site you're currently viewing. Neat.