Great Dilemma

ChipByrd

About four months ago, I remembered that I had a pair

Klipsch Chorus in the basement. For

whatever reason, I felt the bug to get them up and running. I traded my 5.1 for a Cambridge Audio 840a

v2. I also ordered new crossovers from and

tweeters from Bob Crites. The

transformation was nothing less than amazing.

But on Tuesday, I found a great deal on a pair of RF – 83’s. The last couple days I have going back and

forth. Which one do I like best? Which one has the best sound? I can only keep one large pair so I have to

decide. In the end, I will choose the

one best suited to my ears and musical tastes.

But I am interested, which would you guys choose and why? Thanks for the info.

Hello Chip welcome to the forum. Having installed ti diaphragms in a fair number of Klipsch from Heresy to Forte, Forte ll and KLF20 I would say that you cannot make a fair decissiopn untill you install Ti mid diaphragms into your Chorus I would also suggest that you place some damping such as wool felt or high density fiberglass at the mouth of your K701 mid horn in the Chorus. I used about 1/2 inch square piece of high density fiberglass around the inside of the opening of the mouth, horizontal and vertical. This helped a lot in terms of opening the stage and the image resolution. The Ti mid diaphragms are only available from Klipsch. They do for the mid what the ti tweeter diaphragms do for the high end. I thnk that you would find that the Chorus can be a very compelling loudspeaker. A Forte ll will give you a better mid horn and deeper bass.

You can also add some bass output by installing some 6 - 7 inch long cardboard vent tubes on your Chorus, easy to do and practically free. Some impressive results have also been achieved by taking the tweeter out of the cabinet and positioning it on top of the cabinet and aligning the top plates of the tweeter and the mid horn (you can fine tune by ear). I hope this is of interest. Best regards Moray James.

• Moderators

In the end, I will choose the
one best suited to my ears and musical tastes.

The right answer,[Y] it dosen't matter what we think, you can't really loose either way.

I have never heard a Chorus and the only Rf-83 I have heard was in a HT. So I would have to do the same as you, listen and decide.

I think that you need to decide if you prefer the sound of a two way or a three way design. There is a difference and you can see the rift between Heritage and Reference designs here on this forum. Once done you can then figure out which model you like. Bdest regards Moray james.

I have not heard the RF-83's but the guy I bought a pair of my Chorus ll's from had both Chorus ll's and RF-83's. He liked the Chorus ll quite a bit better than the 83's with music. When he sold me his Chorus ll's he moved to Belle's and he said that they trumped both the Chorus and the 83's lol. I'd like to hear the 83's sometime...