RF -7 II Driver for KG 5.5"s??

skally

Hello everyone, I hope all is going well?? I have somewhat of an "odd" question as to if the 10" drivers from the RF-7 II's will work/fit in the KG 5.5's as they have a 10" 25.4cm driver as well. Has anyone tried or herd of someone doing this? The reason I ask is because I have upgraded the tweeters & crossovers using Bob Crites and plan on replacing the driver in the future. I do believe the drivers are still good as they tested with an average of 7.6 to 8 ohm... but given the fact I have replaced the rest I figured why not replace the drivers as well, not to mention I like the "Ascetics" ( looks that is) of the RF 7's gold driver ;). I do also realise its a bit "nuts" to replace something that works fine as I dont really expect it to perform any different but I'm looking at it as if " restoring an older GTO" :). I did contact Klipsch just today as if they could help so I dont expect an answer right away... just curious as if anyone has done or herd of this?

P.S.: Sorry to take up space/time... just curious is all [:^)]

Welcome to the forum and especially to the dark side of modifications. My guess is that you are not going to be able to buy RF 7 woofers from Klipsch and if you found a set I would say your cabinet volume is going to be low with the KG box. The RF 7 in all likelyhood has a better horn than your KG5.5 does. If you want better bass then why not tweak what you have. you can experiment with installing a longer vent tube to lower the tuning frequency and see wht you think that is almot free in comparrison to what you are suggesting. I can tell you that if you built a larger volume cabinet and brace and stiffened it well you will achieve much better bass than with the stock KG5.5 cabinets. Hope that this is of some interest. Welcome aboard it's great to have you here. Best regards Moray James.

Thank you very much for the welcome & feedback! ;) Its not that the drivers/woofers are that bad really, it's mainly "thinking" that I should replace the drivers in the near future is all since they are 15/16 yr old... and I do like the gold drivers of the RF7's as well ;). I do however plan to play around with the cabinets in the spring/summer as to what you have mentioned thou. I also would expect that I wont be able to get the drivers from Klipch as you mentioned but I thought it would be a shot to ask thou ;). Once again, thanks for the feedback and take care!!

Jeff

Russ I know that Klipsch will sell parts for support but they won't sell parts for upgrade and such. I know that they have let parts out in the past so no reson not to try.They do have a policy about this. Best regards Moray James.

PS: Jeff the age of the drivers is not an issue. Why dont you just buy a pair of used RF7 or RF7ll and be done with it?

I did email Klipsch yesterday as I do believe it take a few days for them to respond so no big deal. Its just a "personl" prefernace is all .... kinda like a "custom" rebuild ;). I will have to post back to see what Klipsch tells me. THanks guys and have a great day!!

Jeff