Setting up 11.1--Got the speakers, Need Advice on Which to Use

Rhetor

Sounds like you are truly enjoying the experience! Congrats on the new system.. Your wife is a trooper for sure!

I tend to agree about not using wides or front high speakers with the k-horns. Those speakers use the corner as part of the horn path, and any speaker you put near them will interfere with that horn path. I also still think you should be using the LaScala as a center. If you could find a single split LaScala, you could use the base under the TV screen, and the tophat over the screen. The LaScala can keep up with the Khorns much better.

Droid is giving sage advice here. You have all of the equipment, save one LaScala, for a pro to work with. I have had a pro come through my setup, and listened to what he had to say. He effected my final setup, but only by about 20%. The rest was my baby. There is nothing wrong with inviting an expert over. He has some tools, and can really help you grow what you know.

The sub you have must be exceptional. In a room that size, typically people use way more than three 8 inchers. Trag has a couple Danleys, which would be the equivenant of about 20 of them. I looked at the website just now, and those little babies get some great reveiws. They remind me of the Paradigm sub1 and sub2, only a lot smaller. It is definitely leading edge technology! You should hop over the the Powered Sub forum and give a review. I think they might be a fit for many, as they definitely would pass the WAF!

I am having a great time . . . A new empty-nester rediscovering vintage music and discovering vintage Klipsch speakers. I thin I will combine yours and Trag's advice and drag in a pro after I am done playing and am happy with my novice setups. :-). You are right, I should be using a La Scala center . . . But as a novice it feels like a sacrilege to slit the pair up. I will check out the powered sub forum. Martin Logan makes a an even bigger Descent sub, three 10 inchers in one cab. But it is amazing, even as the 3 8" powered woofers of the Depth sub. I actually had a hard time finding reviews in any forum on it. The problem is the price . . . the Depth is $2200 and the Descent is $3500 and they only go down to 20 he on the Depth and 18 on the Descent. The store I got mine from was closing and I got about 50% off a boxed new one. You can stack a lot of great subs that go a lot lower and are bigger than 8" each . . . Therefore, at full cost, just not a great bang for the buck. But for half off, amazing. ML just never discounts. I got lucky. I would definitely go Danleys, Paradigm, or Epiks if I had to pay full price for an ML. The recommended sub for my 4 year old Reference setup was the Klipsch 12" KSW, which would have needed two at a minimum. I just bought one at close out from new egg and it went into the office. Even two of those could not add much to K-horns and La Scalas, but work great with Heresys. So, I am torn here . . . Making the La Scalas the side surrounds is really just because I can't stand to split them up. I do have my eyes on a private sale of a local pair of Belles . . . If I can score those, I would have no problem using one of each in the HT setup and office setup as a center channel. I am working on buying them from a friend, but . . . Well, even though he is not using them well, he just is not ready yet to actually sell, and I can respect that . . . But we are talking. :-)

So, with K-horns, the consensus seems to be . . . Do not use wide fronts or heights, it will just take away from the K-horn sound. I sure would have liked to put the RS51s and the RB61s right on top of the K-horns . . . Would have looked nice, but if it detracts from the function of the K-horns, I certainly do not want to do that!

Once you have your 7.1 sounding good, then play with the RS-52s and see how you like them as front height.

I'd keep them at the back or on the sides. the RS speakers are designed for surround placement (hence the S) and dispurse the sound a lot from side to side. you want to stick with speakers in front that push all the sound straight out. your RF-82's are made to go in front and I'd keep them there.

I can't comment on which of the other speakers to use where as I have no personal experience with models that good.

I've got 9.1 in one room and I really like it. while they talk about the benefit of the extra speakers for movies, I find it really enhances everyday TV sound. most content is 5.1 and so the rear surrounds really don't get much work while the extra speakers up front are in contstant use as my Yamaha receiver somehow divides the front sound. my receiver is technically only 7.1 and the front highs are what Yamaha calls presence speakers meaning there isn't truly a separate amplifier powering them so maybe it isn't right to call it a 9.1 system but I like it.

Yeah, there is that S letter in the surrounds, so maybe just the RB61s as front heights or the Heresys? I just don't want to mess up the K-horn sound, but love the idea of getting as much speaker as possible involved when watching a movie. I am not quite sure even what front wides and front heights would add to the 7.1 for watching a movie. I like the idea, but am not sure if it adds anything. Of course, I would not employ front wides and front heights for music listening, but for HT, does either a 9.1 or 11.1 get me more in the movie experience? (with a Denon 4311, no multi zone for me . . . Just not feasible in a log cabin, and not necessary for our interest--we have a dedicated Pio for our only second zone.)

I thought twice before posting this and reading about the ( S) for surround. I have a 9.1 setup with front height speakers. I have used bookshelf and surrounds for the front height. I did not think that the bookshelf offer anything over the surrounds since the tower will overpower the height speakers most of the time. The surrounds as height speakers made the system better for multi-channel music. I am a fan of front height speakers since trying them over 6 months ago. I know this goes against the norm in theory, but from a practical view the surrounds can work very well as height speakers in my home experience for movies and music. Asthetically, the surrounds look better high up on the wall, lol.

I thought twice before posting this and reading about the ( S) for surround. I have a 9.1 setup with front height speakers. I have used bookshelf and surrounds for the front height. I did not think that the bookshelf offer anything over the surrounds since the tower will overpower the height speakers most of the time. The surrounds as height speakers made the system better for multi-channel music. I am a fan of front height speakers since trying them over 6 months ago. I know this goes against the norm in theory, but from a practical view the surrounds can work very well as height speakers in my home experience for movies and music. Asthetically, the surrounds look better high up on the wall, lol.

Won't hurt me to try...better than putting the RS51s back in their original boxes. Thanks.

I know this goes against the norm in theory, but from a practical view the surrounds can work very well as height speakers in my home experience for movies and music. Asthetically, the surrounds look better high up on the wall, lol.

thanks for posting that. I acquired my Klipsch speakers a pair or two at a time. the very first pair I bought were S-2's and I used them as fronts in a 5.1 system with Bose 161 rears. the store had S-2's and B-2's on display and I listened to both and thought the S's sounded better than the B's. neither I nor the salesmen knew anything about the numbers. later when I was exchanging emails with Klipsch support they told me that I really shouldn't have been using them as fronts. eventually I upgraded and bought a pair of SLX's for the front and moved the S-2's to the rear and the Bose system to the basement. while I've always been happy with my SLX's, I was never unhappy with the sound of the S-2's when I had them out of place in the front. you are sure right that it never hurts to try anything and to see how you like it in your room.

the tower will overpower the height speakers most of the time.

I haven't seen that on my system. I now have my old SLX's mounted high with B-2's low and the sound is balanced. maybe I'll see it in my secondary system when I add highs over my F-20's. the speakers in my setup that have the least effect are the far rears. so much stuff is 5.1 and so little is true 7.1 that they're unused most of the time. that could be a function of the receiver though. I think my current Yamahas may use a different sound pattern than my prior Onkyo did.

Won't hurt me to try...better than putting the RS51s back in their original boxes. Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the fun part! You can try it all and make your own conclusion! :)

Of everything discussed in this thread, I feel you need to get beyond the "splitting" of the LaScala thing. You would be compromising your setup significantly over nothing more than principle. No need to split them anyhow...just store the extra.