how do I protect my rf82s n blast em

GATHER_78

In most cases it's distortion from the amplifier that damages speakers, so as long as you have enough clean power to satisfy your volume needs the speakers should be fine. Are you combining multiple channels within the Sony AVR or are you using an external amplifier for biamping?

I am only using a Sony STR-DH710 as a power source and avr.

I have rf82s bi-ampd to the front and front high bi-amp channel.

I also have an sw110 and an rc52 center and rs42 surrounds. All running off the

Sony, giving me 5.1, with the 82s bi-ampd. I also have rf62s not being

used, I loved them but didnt have the bass I wanted. My question is basically

how can I get the most out what I have, specifically music wise,

without damaging my front speakers. I do at some point plan to

add my 62s to the mix. I also wont be getting a 9.1/9.2 or 11.1/11.2

for a year or two. I would like to upgrade to a better 7.1 though and

think thats probably my best option.

It sounds like you've got your existing gear setup the best possible way for your needs. If you feel it's not loud enough (I don't know how efficient the 82s are off the top of my head), your best bet is a nice used external stereo amplifier to power just the 82s or you could purchase a five channel amp for a little more money and just use the Sony AVR as a preamp - assuming it has the functionality - I'm not familiar with it. Another benefit of external amps is that they easily transfer forward as you continue to upgrade.

I recommend getting a sub. It sounds like this is a HT setup used for movies and music. For HT a sub is needed to get the full impact of movies. A good sub can make a 2 channel setup better, because it can handle the bass better than tower speakers due to the large box volume, and woofer design. I set my towers to small and run the bass management via the avr. Speakers set to Large= no bass management vs Speakers set to Small= bass management via the avr. Using a sub can help with phase issues, cancellation effect and it gives the avr more reserve to do the midrange and higher frequencies. Bass requires a lot to power especially if you like it loud sometime. If you like loud music will you avr in 5.1 run out of steam, which could damage the speakers.

I bought rf62s, rf42s, rc52, and sw110th just before Christmas.

I bought the 62s first to replace using 2 sets of fronts ( junk kenwierds lol)

and an energy sub. I loved them n picked up everything else, except 82s, just

picked them up 3days ago. The reason I bought both fronts was to blast them

set to large n get the bass along with the sub.

i agree with everyone else. you shouldn't have to run the 82's on large. you should set them around 60 hz for the cutoff and find you a better subwoofer. one with some oomph!! i just sold a pair of 82's to get my rf-63's. i wasn't bi-amping the 82's but the guy i sold them to did and to me they dont have any more bass and aren't any louder, just sound more spacious and much clearer and seperated. wish i could bi-amp my 63's just love 7.1 too much to rock 5.1 to bi-amp.

Im pleased with my sub, klipsch sw110. Ill grumbly play around with setting the 82s to

small. I have always set the sub to the highest possible yes on the low

pass knob. Can anyone explain the hrz thing to me with the sub and the amp.

I understand it in theory but not how to do the math for my setup

if that makes sense lol.

well i guess i dont understand how you want more bass but are happy with what you have?? anywho, you want the hrtz to over lap just a little. like i have my rf-63 which freq response is down in the 30's somewhere which is extremely low. i however, cross them over at 60. what that means is that anything below 60 hz is not sent to those speakers. and my sub is crossed over at 70. and that means it will not play anything above 70 hz, that way i dont get a three speakers trying to play the same thing and make that frequency section boomy or too loud. if this doesn't make sense i can try to ellaborate more.

Im pleased with my system for games, movies and music. I just got the 82s a few days ago

and blasted them today. My main music interest is rap. I find when I have the sub hrz all the way up

and fronts set to large with the bass max, this sounds best.

I turn my speakers up as loud as possible before I have to turn the bass

down on the eq(the eq in my avr settings,not an external). THATS MY MO

I thought the 62s would be enough but they werent, thats why I upgraded

to 82s. I have not yet pushed my 82s to that point yet.