SW-115

ChipByrd

• 1 month later...

I really like mine. It blends in well with my system and sounds clean. Unfortunately I don't really have much of a comparison to give you as I was using a harmon kardon 10" sub before, so I can't really say how it performs compared to a lot of the other favorites out there.

Quote from the article "I did a quick search and there is very little
out there, Internet Direct or no, that can complete with the Klipsch
SW-115 on pure specs and price point. Klipsch may very well have come up
with in ID sub killer."

Yeah right! Try the Epik Empire for price and specs. He must be working for Klipsch advertising department.

BTW Schu, that is not a substantial review!

So, has anyone bought one of these and put it through its paces? Just curious. Are there any substantial reviews?

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/klipsch-sw-115-pre

• 2 weeks later...

I should have mine today. I will be comparing it directly to a Velodyne DEQ-12R. They have similar retail pricepoints and a similar design. I had the SW-110 in my living room and did not care for it too much compared to the DEQ-12R. I have heard a lot of subs and I will give it an unbiased review. If I don't like it I will let you know.

It should be a good review. I will be eagerly looking forward to it. We all know it doesn't win the beauty contest. But how does it stack up to tried and true subs out there. the Velodyne comparison should be a good one... Frankly, the 115 should be better at most everything.

one thing I have noticed about my 115 is that the effectiveness form the sub is not directly in front of the housing @ 0º, but actually off at an angle of about 70-80º or so.

what do you think could be accounting for this?

The sub did not come in yesterday. I am getting impatient!

That's a bummer, and on a Friday no less. Can't wait to hear your review. I am looking for a sub (or pair) and the SW-310 didn't cut it. I will be curious to hear how it does musically. BTW, are you getting one or two?

In my experience, I like how it sounds for music. I listen to mostly hip hop/EDM tho, so it might not be much of a help to some of you.

In my experience, I like how it sounds for music. I listen to mostly hip hop/EDM tho, so it might not be much of a help to some of you.

Yea, I am afraid if I hopped it would be bad for the hip. And I believe an EDM is what I had for my 50th birthday. :)

I am getting one SW-115. I almost never listen to any music in the basement except for parties, then it's just background noise. But I will listen to a few types of music just to give my first impressions. The things I am looking for is low frequency extension and equal output from 20 Hz to 80Hz. The Velodyne it is replacing played to 25Hz and sounded great after running the built in room correction.

from my experimentation... I needed to dial back the out put of my 115 so it would "blend" well with my cornwalls. for HT it is also a bit over powering and I try and get a natural extension and "blend" between all speakers.I think I am still trying to work in my 64ii to a point where it is "natural".

one thing I have noticed about my 115 is that the effectiveness form the sub is not directly in front of the housing @ 0º, but actually off at an angle of about 70-80º or so.

what do you think could be accounting for this?

That could be room modes at work. Are you using an SPL meter to measure this, or is it ear only. If the sub were outside or in an anichoic chamber, this would probably not happen.

Try moving the sub around, and in particular out from the wall a bit further. It also sounds like your cornwalls and your sub might be overlapping a bit too much. That can result in boominess or cancellation of frequencies. If you turn the sub gain down to correct this overlap, then you are also turning down the frequencies which do not. You will be missing a lot of LFE. The quick fix is to turn the dial on the sub to a lower crossover frequency, then adjust the gain again.

I am excited to hear the reviews.  I am planning to add a pair of subs to my two channel.  I have begun saving my pennies, reading various reviews, and looking for a good fit.   I had an SW-310 and it just didn't impress and I sold it.  Yesterday, I noticed on my local CL a REL Strata iii for sale for $450.00.  I called the guy and threw out $300, and he said " ok.".   It is in perfect shape.  I bought it simply to see how a different sub would sound in my system.  Wow!

Anyway... I hooked it up last night and after about two hours of tweaking it was AMAZING.  It confirmed for me that I will be using subs in my two channel.  So I am really interested to her how a pair of SW-115's perform in two channel.  And they will have to outpace REL.

That could be room modes at work. Are you using an SPL meter to measure this, or is it ear only. If the sub were outside or in an anichoic chamber, this would probably not happen.

Try moving the sub around, and in particular out from the wall a bit further. It also sounds like your cornwalls and your sub might be overlapping a bit too much. That can result in boominess or cancellation of frequencies. If you turn the sub gain down to correct this overlap, then you are also turning down the frequencies which do not. You will be missing a lot of LFE. The quick fix is to turn the dial on the sub to a lower crossover frequency, then adjust the gain again.

Pretty good info... thanks

I am a rookie at this compared to many others here. Lately I have been learning about room modes, and highly recommend it to anybody serious about getting it right in thier sound system. In short, you should work out the room before running Audyssey or whatever calibration you choose. To do that, you need an RTA which measures down to 1/10th octave, and take lots of measurements all over the room. Most of your adjustments will be moving speakers and seating positions at first. When that is done, you move on to room treatments to correct further. The last step, if needed, is Audyssey or YPAO, or whatever.

I am a rookie at this compared to many others here. Lately I have been learning about room modes, and highly recommend it to anybody serious about getting it right in thier sound system. In short, you should work out the room before running Audyssey or whatever calibration you choose. To do that, you need an RTA which measures down to 1/10th octave, and take lots of measurements all over the room. Most of your adjustments will be moving speakers and seating positions at first. When that is done, you move on to room treatments to correct further. The last step, if needed, is Audyssey or YPAO, or whatever.

That sounds really great! Where's the "For Dummies" version? :)

That sounds really great! Where's the "For Dummies" version? :)

I haven't found it , yet...

I think the equivalent is to ask questions in these forums. The dialogue helps me get a deeper understanding, even though I regularly screw up what I learned. Some of the most brilliant engineers hang out here, and dumb down for people like me. [:)]