Is my speaker cable OK ?

jfg02

Just received a 200' spool of Monster XP cable. I tough it was 14 awg but it seems to be 16 awg. The distance from the amp (HK 3600) to the rear RF-82 will be about 35 to 40'. Distance from the front will be about 5'. I plan to double the cable for each RF-82 tower (bi-cable). Is the cable is going to be to small for that use ?

Just received a 200' spool of Monster XP cable. I tough it was 14 awg but it seems to be 16 awg. The distance from the amp (HK 3600) to the rear RF-82 will be about 35 to 40'. Distance from the front will be about 5'. I plan to double the cable for each RF-82 tower (bi-cable). Is the cable is going to be to small for that use ?

No use of the bridges

I have a few 100' spools of thicker cable. If you want to trade some, we can work it out. What you have is good for internal speaker wiring that I plan to do.

The table ( http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable ) says that 16 AWG is marginally ok for an 8-ohm load. I would be tempted to double the wire on the long runs, dropping the 16 AWG to 13 AWG

With 8 ohm speakers, you can use smaller wire. 4ohm speakers require larger wire. Here is a neat calculator you can use to figure things out.

http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/speakerwireselectorassistant.swf

Are my RF-82s 8 ohm speakers ? Think so, but since I'm new in home audio...

Peter, when you are talking about doubling the cable, is it the same thing as bi-wiring it ?

Thanks !