Old tube equipment vs new

Taz

Just for the sake of opinions and discussion I ask, which is better old tube equip or new?

I finally disconnected the Lafayette KT 600 pre-amp kit and the McIntosh mc 30's and hooked up The Fisher 400. After trying the 400 for a while I put the Mac's back on line. These had both been serviced at the same shop. These were both run through KHorns. I'm convinced I like the Mac's better.

How do these rate with the new tube equipment?[:^)]

Taz

Just for the sake of opinions and discussion I ask, which is better old tube equip or new?

I finally disconnected the Lafayette KT 600 pre-amp kit and the McIntosh mc 30's and hooked up The Fisher 400. After trying the 400 for a while I put the Mac's back on line. These had both been serviced at the same shop. These were both run through KHorns. I'm convinced I like the Mac's better.

How do these rate with the new tube equipment?Huh?

Taz

There's no answer to this question. New equipment may sound different, but not necessarily better. One simply has to listen and choose the preferred equipment. The KT 600 is a wonderful preamp though and, if properly restored, will hold its own against many modern units. It was designed by a friend of mine and has remained very much in demand even to this day. Too bad he got out of the field years ago as he has one of the sharpest minds that I've known!

There's a lot of design concept improvements which are avialble for current designers/builders of tube gear to incorporate but it doesn't really mean they did or will on all models. It's always good to do a shoot out comparing different gear when folks get together to determine if any of the technical improvements have any audio significance.

it wasn´t called "the golden age of audio" for nothing. while there have been developments audio design and technology in the last half decade you can find some of the best sounding equipment EVER in the vintage realm. I also think vintage still gives better price/performance than modern equipment. rebuilt and lightly modded vintage equipment may outperform the majority of modern equipment and again at a lower price point. a pair of Marantz 9 against some Krell stuff? I´ll take the model 9s...

So for me SS stuff has improved greatly though while the tube stuff seems to be mostly knockoffs of the best of yesteryear...IMHO, YMMV, yada, yada, warm regards, Tony

One thing that you need to be concerned with is the output transformers used in vintage power amplifiers. If they were wound with Formvar insulated wire that insulation is probably degraded, degrading, or about to. Rewinding transformers can be done, at a high cost, $200+ per. I think the original Mac MC-75 has that issue. It costs close to $400 to rewind those, IIRC.