RF-83 + RC-62 Amping Question

tmassey

I solved my mic issue, well kind of. I went to radio shack and talked to an employee there. He had a pretty good suggestion. He sold me a mic and the 1/4" -> 1/8" adapter to fit my receiver and just told me to be careful with it and bring it back tomorrow and get my money back. Thought it was a pretty good idea till I got home. For some reason, it kept telling my subwoofer was too quiet. I turned it up a little and still too quiet so I turned it up all the way... and STILL too quiet, and I apparently scared my family because it was so loud. Anyway after thinking about it for a second, I looked on the back of the mic box and it's only rated for 50hz-15khz.

Anyway, the only way to continue was to turn off the sub in the avr settings and run through the auto-setup again and this time it made it all the way through. If I thought it sounded good before, it sounds fantastic now. The center speaker no longer stands out and blends in perfectly, and now I've got the 'wall of voodoo' effect going on. Only thing left to do now is go back and return my mic and see if they have one that can pick up on the lower frequencies or try and do it manually with the spl meter on my phone. And for anyone curious on the issue, any mic seems to be fine for adjusting AVRs, just make sure the frequency response will work for you.

Again, thanks to everyone for all the help. I am now a very happy owner of some very fine Klipsch speakers.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't try it just on my account. The vast majority of the improvements I am hearing is going from the lower end of the icon series (which is already low) to the higher end or the Reference series. That, I am sure, caused my previous settings in my AVR to be extremely far from ideal, so really, any recalibration would have been great. If I knew more about what I was doing, I would probably buy a real SPL meter and set the speakers myself.

For anyone that does know what they are doing, best case scenario would be running auto-MCACC would give you a pretty good baseline to start from. Once I move again in a few months and am able to get a pair of surrounds and set everything up in the new place and not move the speakers ever again, I will probably pay a professional to come out and calibrate them for me, as well as the TV.

MCACC does more than set speaker levels in comparion to an spl meter. Standing wave, speaker equalization, reverb, time delay and a few more things to make your setup work in synergy with your room, If you have a little time to play with it I think you can do a better job than a home theater or Hi Fi guy. AVS has a great forum on the different Pioneer avr's and MCACC. Now the tv is a different story. I had two Denon avr and perfer MCACC over Audyssey. I know MCACC does not EQ below 63Hz, but for me the way it works with standing waves and room intergration makes it a stand out autocalibration system.