1977 Cornwall Crossovers

wantabeach

I just picked up these speakers and I'm new to Klipsch speakers. Wow. I like them quite a bit pushed by my Dyanco PAS 3 and ST-70. I have read that the crossover caps have to be bad by now. I pulled the back off of one of them and they look new inside, very clean, etc. I bought them from the original owner and they have not been modded or upgraded, just well cared for. No leaks around the caps like some suggested I might see.

Is there a quick test I can do with an ohms meter to see if the crossovers at at factor spec?

Thank you,

nothing you can test with an ohm meter. if they sound ok to you....leave them. Caps decay over time and the properties that change have measurable effects using capacitance and related testers. but due to the nature of 1st order networks, the shifts caused by changes to the capacitor properties does not necessarily appear as a malfunction, the speaker may still sound ok......but just have different crossover points due to changes in resistance values of the caps.

My '80 Cornwalls (purchased new) always sounded terrific to me. After joining this forum, I was talked into installing new crossovers. At first I wasn't all that impressed. I listened for a few weeks then put the old networks back in. It wasn't until I put the originals back in that I realized how badly they needed replacing.

I'd enjoy them for a while, get used to the sound, then play around with crossovers. BTW - The insides of Cornwalls almost always look brand new, even after 30-40+ years.

Edit: Where are my manners? Welcome to the forum!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...