2-channel Center Channel delay?

artto

I believe there was some mention of a three channel stereo setup, a pair of Klipschorns and a Belle or LaScala, that Klipsch had setup for demonstration at one of the Pilgrimage.

Does anyone know (Klipsch tech support ~ chime in here too please) what the delay time for the center speaker was?

I take it the delay was also based on the distance differences from the L&R midrange driver diaphram compared to the same on the center speaker to the "main, optimum listening position"? (of course if it was a LaScala that was used I guess one could just measure from the midrange horn mouth since the mid horns are the same on Khorn and LaScala).

I'm curious if Klipsch used the exact distance differences or some average between the two, or just a "ballpark" figure, or dialed it in by listening, etc. I am going to begin implementing a center channel delay today.

I wasn't there but have used the PWK min-box and 3 Ch setup before. I did not implement delay. That was the weak part of my setup. You would almost always be standing or sitting closer to the center channel because the L/R were in the corners further away. The delay would have made the setup much better, and because I didn't have the delay I tended to turn the center channel down to where you could barely hear it.

I use delay now in my active system for other purposes (time alignment per channel). I can tell you the delay setting will be different for every setup. It is a measurement that would make the L/R/C all equidistant from the listener. It will be a ballpark but can be a very very accurate and close ballpark off by a couple of inches at most if you measure carefully and depending on where listeners place themselves. That would be close enough to fix the issue.

Are your L/R/C all the same type of speaker? If so, pick a point on the horn (like the bug screen) and measure out to the listening position. The difference between your L or R and C is the delay. Now of course if you move the listener left or right guess what happens? This is why I said it is a ballpark. Just play with it and see what sounds best. It will be hard to tell small tweaks once you get it close.