Surrounds vs Bookshelf

rustolem

Okay here's question.

I am the only person listening to my HT and my seating postion is dead center of the tv with my towers towed in towards me.

My surround or back speakers will be about 5 feet off the ground and on the wall right behind me about 3 feet from my head on either side.

Since there is nobody on the left or right of me do I really need a
speaker like the RS-52ii or can I get the same sound from a pair of
RB-61ii's?

Do the "Surrounds" produce a sound that the "Bookshelf" speakers can't?

I was planning on putting a swivel mount on the wall so that I can turn the speakers inward toward my seating postion to matcht the towers.

Thanks for reading and any responses

Rustolem

I say go with the bookshelves in a 5.1 if they will be behind you. Then down the road if you go 7.1 move the rb-61 to the 7.1 channels and get some rs series and put them right on the side of you. That's where they are designed to succeed.

• Moderators

Do the "Surrounds" produce a sound that the "Bookshelf" speakers can't?

Yes they produce a much wider sound but that's what they are designed to do. With you only concerned with one listening spot a bookshelf should be fine. The WDST design is better if you have just 2 speakers in the rear, it helps make the rear sound fill in much more than just bookshelves for the width of the rear sounds.

I don't use 7.1 but i would guess with that many speakers around almost any design would work ?