What to do with my new Philips LCD TV?

Gary Boone

I've been racking my brain and still don't have a winning idea. At the company Christmas party last December, I won the best door prize, a 55" Philips 55PFL5706. I've seen it side by side against my 60" Sharp Quattron at Sam's Club and my Sharp Quattron wins hands down. Sam's would not allow me to return it for a refund because I didn't purchase it.

The ideas I have so far:

1. Build a HT system in my unfinished basement. Pros: Could have my man cave down there. I already have a decent spare HT sound system. Cons: I could easily spend 10 times what the TV cost in finishing the basement and building a "from scratch" HT room and would have a mediocre TV as part of it. I don't have the motivation (or expertise) to undertake such a project. I would also have to install some sort of heat source in the basement.

2. Put the new TV in the living room (my Sharp TV is currently in the family room) and use it mainly for games. Pros: No room finishing required. I already have the sound system as mentioned above. Con's: I don't want to get hooked on games like I would be prone to do and waste my life (just my opinion).

3. Hang it on the wall in the master bedroom. Pros: Can't think of any. Cons: I already have a good CRT there and rarely watch TV in bed and I don't want to start doing so.

3. Save the TV and give it to my daughter as a college graduation present. Pros: She'd get a good TV (still mediocre TV to me but probably not to her if it's free). Con's: It will be a out of date TV in 3 years, she'll think I'm cheap for regifting the thing, but hey, if I'm cheap I wouldn't be paying for her college, right? The warranty will be expired before she graduates in 3 years.

4. Sell it in the Want Ads. I haven't opened the box. What's it worth when it cost around $1000 when bought new last December, still in the unopened box? I don't really need the money, but maybe could spend the extra cash on sound upgrades to my existing system, even though I'm pretty content with what I have (subject to other opinions of course).

Any opinions or new ideas are welcome.

You have a pretty nice setup already, but unless you just didn't list it, you don't seem to have a power conditioner protecting your investments. I'm not sure if my house got hit by lightning or if it was really close, but it blew every TV I had except for the one behind my power conditioner. It destroyed it, but it did save the rest of my equipment, so now I'll never go without, especially with all my recent upgrades.

I don't have a power conditioner but my entire system is powered through a UPS. I don't know if it's as effective as a power conditioner for protecting against lightening strikes, but a UPS is supposed to be a lot better than a $15 surge protector. I also plug all the components into a high end surge protector that's plugged into the UPS. Is this adequate?