Replacing a couple of speakers, need advice

molonlaveh

Hi everyone.

This is my first post. I need help and figured you guys would have the best answer. I'm looking to replace a couple of PSB's with two Klipsch speakers. I have a 7.1 surround consisting of: rc52, 2rf62, 2rs42 that make up the back surround, rpw10 and of course the 2 psb for my for my surround. I'm looking to replace them with either 2 rs62, 2 rb61 or 2 rb81. Which way do you think I should go and why?

First off welcome to the forum!

So if right now you have the rs-42 as your surround back channels, I would suggest moving those to your sides to your surround channels. Then with the size of your front stage you could probably save a buck or two and go with the rb-51 if you can have them out from the wall a bit since they are rear ported. If they need to be flush I would go with the rb-61 as they are front ported and flush mount will not affect sound at all. I def would not even consider the rb-81 as those would probably out do your rf-62 in all reality. I would also try to find a used or new if you can but stay in your generation of reference speakers if at all possible. Good luck with your search!

Steven

I was ar Futureshop yesterday with a friend. We were there because he needed to buy speaker wire. I'm having a look around in the speaker section and talking to the salesman there when he tells me they have a pair of open box RB-61's. The only hitch was that on of the grills had the corner torn. It wasn't much, you can barely see it from a distance. So I ended up buying them for $220. We took them back to my friends place for a trial run, make sure nothing was blown and a comparison to his recently purchased KEF speakers. They worked perfectly!!! Now my 7.1 Klipsch system is complete!

awesome i am jealous!! i have been making so many calls to shops that might have the display models left for sale but no luck. you would think in southern california there would be alot of audio shops for how may people, but it's just not the case. good deal for you!! so you moved the 42's to the middle right? and now have the 61's in the back?

Turns out it wasn't that awsome. I tried fine adjusting my speaker distance. I have a Pioneer. For those who don't know, it emits a high click that lets you adjust your speaker volume so that everything sounds centered. One of the RB-61 wasn't going hight enough and I couldn't center them. I put my ear right up to the tweeter and noticed ( while listening to a show that had a xylophone in the background) that one tweeter sounded flat. Like the high tinging of the xylophone was muffled. I ckecked my EQ to make sure everything is balanced. I guess it was too good to be true. Going to return them this weekend. :( I don't know how both my friend and I didn't pick it up at his house.

It sure if this would help but did check the back of both speakers and make sure the brass bridges are on the connectors? If not that would cause a tweeter not to work. Hate to think you got a bad pair. I have seen those things missing quite often in stores. Let us know if that helps

It sure if this would help but did check the back of both speakers and make sure the brass bridges are on the connectors? If not that would cause a tweeter not to work. Hate to think you got a bad pair. I have seen those things missing quite often in stores. Let us know if that helps

The bridges are there. The tweeter works, it's just sounds muffled. But you gave me an idea to double check the tightness of the posts. At my friends place we connected the speakers by passing the wire through the posts where as I use banna plugs. I'm away tonight but tomorrow it's the first thing I'm going to check out as soon as I get home. Thanks for the idea! I'll keep you posted.

Scrappydue, your a genius!!!

I came back today and the first thing I did was check the terminals. They were loose so I tightened them. I ran the Pioneer 'fine speaker distance' adjustment and got the right tone out of my tweeter. I played some music with violin, some with vocals, some with electric guitar. Everything works perfectly! I would have returned a good pair of speakers at a steal price. Now to eat something and spend the rest of the day enjoying video games wnd movies.

Thank you so much.