WOW! Klipschorn design?

kenratboy

I was reading about the JBL Hartsfield, which is JBL's version of the Klipsch cornerhorn. The article said somthing interesting, the Hartsfield (and maybe Klipschorn) was ment for MONO and was discontinued after stereo reproduction became the norm in the 60's. After stereo became the norm, it became impracticle to have two cornerhorns setup properly. As we all know, you need the right setup for a proper cornerhorn rig.

Was the Klipschorn orgionally sold individually for mono reproduction? Did they start to get sold in paris at a leter date?

Here is the article:

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/jbl/hartsfield.htm

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Yes Ken, Mono was pretty much the norm in the late '40's.

Up until about the mid-'50's (I think.)

The Hartsfield's were a no-cost objective of the Klipchshorn design, you seen those things, they are monsters, 300 pounds apiece.

I envy anyone with a pair of these.

Kenratboy,

You really need to read PWK's magazine article from 1951. Not only will you come to realize to some extent how difficult his development of the K-horn was, but also how difficult it is to produce a fine loudspeaker when the amplifiers, etc. of the time were so lousy!! PWK even explains how modification of the gear available at the time to power his k-horns was brought about to attempt to meet the efficiency and accuracy of the speaker itself...since the k-horn showed each and every fallibility of the equipment of the time!!

Just imagine trying to power a Lamborghini Contach with a Model T Ford engine!!!

It had to drive Mr. Paul nuts!!!!

Yes, when the K-horn was first developed, Mono was all there was...TV was a new thing...the only true stereo music one had was what one recorded himself...and for another dozen years the stereo format would not be much more than a pipe dream of serious audiophiles of the day!! Keep in mind that a great many records were still produced into the mid-60's in MONO, not in STEREO...but by the end of that decade, true 4-channel on CD-4/Discrete albums would become available...bigtime advances in the audio world occurred in the 1960's!!

Many times an owner of a single k-horn or other early heritage speaker would have the factory build up a mate to it for stereo...this continued into the 1970's...I built up quite a few single orders for mates to single speakers, myself!!

That article can be found at: www.hifilit.com

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

OK, it is a worthless piece of triva, but I find this facinating.

It is amazing that the Klipschorns have evloved and adapted to life in the 21st century like it has.

Thanks for the other info!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Kenratboy,

Not useless trivia at all. But to put PWK's development of the k-horn in 1945 into a timeline perspective on when stereo actually entered the norm, just consider this:

The year was 1965. A new band releases a single on 45 rpm of a song written by Bob Dylan. The single preceded their debut ALBUM by almost a year. The single produced instant international stardom for the new band as it topped the charts WORLDWIDE!!!and went on for over 20 years as the most purchased single in rock history!! AND>>>IT WAS RECORDED IN MONO...NOT STEREO!! And, even though it was subsequently available as a stereo recording, it was never released as a stereo single!! You gotta remember that the first label to provide ALL its recordings in stereo was APPLE!!

The band: The Byrds

The song: Mr. Tambourine man

What single today would sell for over 20 years in just a mono recording?

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.