too much power for speakers?

ivanhurd

I am getting a set of RS-52 IIs for surrounds and the website says they handle 100 watts RMS @ 8 Ohms. Currently I have an Onkyo TX-SR706 which appears to have 100 watts RMS @ 8 Ohms as well. The problem is, I plan to upgrade my receiver to something 3D capable when I get a new TV. I was looking at the Onkyo TX-NR818, but it looks to be 135 rms @ 8 ohms. Is this going to be way too much power for the RS-52s to handle? Should I be looking more at the 717 which is 110 rms, or is that still going to be too much? The dealer said that you don't really reach the full wattage of the amp unless you turn it all the way up, is this true? I would just rather not blow the speakers if one day I decide I want to 'test' how loud my speakers can go...I would like the higher power because of the rest of the system I am getting, but I also don't want to chance blowing the surrounds...please give me some guidance!!!

here is the system I am getting:

RF-82 II for the mains

RC-62 II for center

RS-52 II for surrounds

RB-81 II for surrounds

SW-112 for sub

Ivan,

Welcome to the forum.

Any of those Onkyo's will work just fine. Your RS-52II's will never see the 100, 110, or 135 watts either of those receivers can muster unless you run them wide open. You may reach peaks of 100 watts during high action scenes or musical transients but under normal operation probably not much more than 60 watts continuously. One suggestion is to set a turn on volume max and a volume max so you can never accidentally max out the volume. You can find those settings in the Onkyos setup menu.

Bill

Like Willand said, the 52's would have been fine with a 135rms receiver. The max on those is 400 watts, which they would likely never see from this home theater receiver in surround mode.

I have also heard that there isn't much of a difference in the RS-52 and 62. I couldn't say if this is true or not, but I recall the poster saying keep your money and stick with the 52. Now the bookshelf speakers are a diffferent story. It is a big upgrade going from the RB-51 to the RB-61.