Why was there no RF-5 II?

Shodrewken

This might of already been discussed but it seems to me that would of made more sense number wise because the rf-7 ii is the flagship speaker now for the rf line. If rf-83 ii's were released, the rf-82 ii's would of made more sense then. Just seem like they mix up the different speaker lines this time around. I'm not complaining or anything just an observation.

I agree. The Reference line currently has the RF-42, RF-52, RF-62, RF-82, then jumps to the RF-7, with a huge price jump. I personally think there should be something in the middle between the RF-82 and the RF-7. You get plenty of options if you look at the low end of the Reference line, but when you get up to the high end, you only have two choices.

I guess what I'm saying is why have so many choices for the low end Reference line, with minimal price difference, then not many options for the high end.

I actually didn't think of it that way, you got a good point there. The MSRP of the 7-II's is pretty high, but if you look around you can almost chop that price in half if you look around. Many guys here on the forum, including me, have found pretty decent prices from dealers like Acoustic Sound Design, and Sound Distributors. But still, I think the rf-5 ii's would serve as a good mid point between the 7 ii's and everything else.

Isn't the RF-82 kind of the replacement of the RF-5? The RF-5 didn't have the big 1.75" tweeter of the RF-7. The RF-5 and RF-82 both had a similar 1" tweeter with two 8" woofers. I think the RF-82II really is an updated RF-5

Isn't the RF-82 kind of the replacement of the RF-5? The RF-5 didn't have the big 1.75" tweeter of the RF-7. The RF-5 and RF-82 both had a similar 1" tweeter with two 8" woofers. I think the RF-82II really is an updated RF-5

being similar in specs doesn't mean they are anywhere close in overall sound. The RF-5's are a very unique beast. My buddy has RF-3 II's, which appear to have the exact same components, and yet they sound nothing like my RF-5's.

What gets me is just the naming of the speakers. If you look at the current Reference line you can tell exactly what speaker it is just by the name. R for reference followed by F for floorstanding, C for center, B for bookshelf, or S for surround. Then the number right after that tells the size of the woofer and the next number tells thetotal number of woofers. This way of naming the different models is genius because you don't have to memorize multiple model numbers, you can just look at the name and know what it is. To get to my point, why didn't they do the same with the RF-7II? The woofers are 10" not 7", and there are two of them. Why not name this speaker in the same fashion?

The RF-82 is more the replacement of the RF-3.

Where in the past lineup the RF-7 was sort of replaced with the RF-83, the RF-5 was replaced with the RF-63 and the RF-3 was replaced with the RF-82. The current line-up skips over an RF-5 replacement with no equivalent model, going directly from the RF-82 ll to the RF-7 ll.

Just curious as to where my RF-35's fit into the evolution?....I was under the impression that the 82's were the replacement?

Love my RF 35's

Yes your RF-35's are part of the RF-3 model evolution which did become the RF-82 and then later the RF-82 ll

Here is that evolution.

RF-3
BUILT FROM: 1999
BUILT UNTIL: 2001

RF-3 II
BUILT FROM: 2001
BUILT UNTIL: 2003

RF-35
BUILT FROM: 2003
BUILT UNTIL: 2006

RF-82
BUILT FROM: 2006