New house, sub sounds crappy now

miggawhat

I have an HD500 5.1 speaker setup.

My old house was a little more cozy and the sound was always amazing.

Now my living room is twice as big and I can only hear the sub on one side of the room.

I can't turn it up more cause it sounds like it's going to blow the speaker.

I tried messing with the crossover settings and the little switch (don't know what it does) in the back but I didn't really hear any difference.

Previously, I had the sub behind the tv. Now I have it on the right side of the tv, bass port facing the wall.

Is there anything I can do for this or is this setup too crappy for my new house?

Thanks for any help!

The HD 500 is design for small to medium size room. Mines sounded ok in a 19X20 room but I was always missing the impact that a larger HT would provide. You may need a second sub or consider upgrading everything if possible. First try setting the sub on a small tabe at your main listening area, then walk around the room and see where the sub sounds best. That will be the ideal location for the sub. You can also corner load the sub to get a little more out of it. Using a Y connector on the R/L sub input may net you and extra couple of db. Good Luck!

Thanks guys for all the feedback!

derrickdj1,

Where can I get a Y connector for that? I was wondering why there were two inputs....

You wrote small tabe... did you mean table?

Also, there are two switches on the sub. One says ON, OFF, AUTO and the other says PHASE 180 degrees and 0 degrees.

Do you guys know what those mean? I tried flipping them and they didn't seem to do anything.

The manual doesn't explain anything about them.

derrickdj1,

Where can I get a Y connector for that? I was wondering why there were two inputs....

Also, there are two switches on the sub. One says ON, OFF, AUTO and the other says PHASE 180 degrees and 0 degrees.

Do you guys know what those mean? I tried flipping them and they didn't seem to do anything.

Y-RCA cable: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021803&p_id=663&seq=1&format=2

ON,Off,Auto just means you can manually turn the sub on or off, or just let it come on when it sences a signal.

Phase is the timing of the sound. If you turn the dial, a very slight delay is added. It reduces cancellation. You can move the phase dial if you think you are getting cancellation from your main speakers. Cancellation is when two exact sound waves collide and kill eachother. Phasing them makes them miss.

derrickdj1,

Using a Y connector doesn't magicaly make your sub more powerful. You've only got so much amp, so much port and cabinet volume and so much driver. Turning the gain up on your sub amp or increasing the level of your receivers subwoofer output will give you the same benefit as using a Y connector. All your amp is doing is summing the 2 signals into a stronger signal.

derrickdj1,

Using a Y connector doesn't magicaly make your sub more powerful. You've only got so much amp, so much port and cabinet volume and so much driver. Turning the gain up on your sub amp or increasing the level of your receivers subwoofer output will give you the same benefit as using a Y connector. All your amp is doing is summing the 2 signals into a stronger signal.

One thing I do remember though is that sometimes having input at both connections in neccesary when using Auto On. Am I remembering that wrong?

OK, I dig it now. [H]

Have you ever wondered why just about every sub has two RCA line in connections? I can understand the two speaker level inputs, but I have never seen a receiver or amp which has two RCA outputs that weren't specifically for the purpose of signaling two seperate subs.

Have you ever wondered why just about every sub has two RCA line in connections? I can understand the two speaker level inputs, but I have never seen a receiver or amp which has two RCA outputs that weren't specifically for the purpose of signaling two seperate subs.

It IS odd. Some of them actually are labled different also. Some are labled L and R and some are labled Sub in and LFE in. I'd suggest to anyone that has a question about that to consult their owners manual. Without seeing what's inside, it's hard to tell what the individual designers have in mind. I think all of them sum inputs though. Come to think about it, the different inputs may be for low passable or non low passable. Just a guess though.

The two inputs are for driving sub when you don't have an LFE output. I'm using old Carver preamp and I Y-off the pre-amp out to my stereo amp and to the inputs on the sub.

I believe mustang guy was referring to the 2 RCA inputs, not the line level (speaker wire) inputs.

I agree that you are summing the signal. I think the y-connector is especially useful when the sub is set to auto in older subs, to help trigger it to come on. I brought mine from BB for $3.29. I look at at this as one of my cheapest audio investment and there is no real risk.[:)] Also using the y-connector may eliminate some RF/EM effect form leaving one of the sub inputs open. I did say may, lol.