Klipsch Virgin, KG 5.5 Help how do I wire them? Waiting to try them out!

Hi, these are my first set of Klipsch speakers, I bought them last night at a local auction house for $100 for the pair. I also bought a Bell & Howell Filmosound model 202 which has a built in Tube Amp that I want to liberate and try to use with the KG 5.5s. Anyway on to the question, one speaker has the back off and the wires are all disconnected, I don't know how to wire it back up as I have no experience with this stuff at all, can anybody help, thanks. I know I could take the back off the other one but I would like not to have too. Also what should I set my modern amp to when I do hook them up (until I figure out the Tube Amp, have no idea about that either! hahaha).

Thanks for the help and best wishes, Steve.

I think I know the answer to this but is the crossover attached to the back of the terminal cup? (that's mounted to the back panel that's now off of the speaker cabinet). If it is, some of the work is already done for you.

If the wires are still connected to the crossover and not the speaker drivers, then it's a piece of cake.

Look at the crossover where the loose wires are soldered to the PC board. Next to each soldered wire it should have some printing such as "W1" or "W2" or "M" or "T".

Those letters mean:

W1 = Woofer number 1

W2 = Woofer number 2

M = Midrange

T = Tweeter

From there the wires should have either white or black colored shielding. The black gets connected to the negative (labled as "-") terminal on its respective driver and the red (or white) connects to the positive (labled "+"). The wires should just push on at the driver end without too much trouble.

As a side note: The really old Klipsches positive lead was white with a red chaser.

Wow, wow, wow, I am converted, I absolutely love these speakers, I believe that they are my new favorite possession.

I do have an issue with the amount of hiss from the tweeters which is very strong when the amp is turned on without any component attached.

The hiss is quickly lost in the volume of any music but is audible in quieter sections of music. I am assuming that this is my cheap amp (pylepro P3002AI), is that right or is it an issue with the speakers? Thanks again for the help I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes, Steve.

When I first heard that same hiss from my KLF-20's I found it was coming from the adjustable loudness control on the McIntosh C33 preamplifier I was using. The his was loudest with a minimum amount of loudness injected but got quieter the higher it was set. I even sent it to Mac service and they replaced an IC or two. It was better but not perfect. But hey, the unit was about 20-years old.

Once I acquired even better equipment (as listed below in main system) the hiss all but went away.

The only hiss I get through mine is when I'm playing vinyl through my Jolida tubed phono amp. I've owned my 5.5's since 1994. You might want to consider Bob Crites' titanium diaphragms for the horns and his crossovers. They really do make quite an improvement over stock. Enjoy and welcome to the ranks of the doomed.
Regards, Sam [6]

Of course the Crites' mods won't help with the hiss. I'm sorry if I was misleading in my post. I seriously doubt if the hiss is originating from his speakers, hum or smoke possibly, but not hiss.
Regards, Sam