Moving the Tweeter and mid range Horn on Original Heresy Speakers

urban

Has any one ever heard of removing the Mid Range and Tweeters out of the Heresy Speaker cabinets and mounting then on poles above the cabinet, then covering the holes in the cabinet with wood?

If so is it a good idea and where did this concept come from?

No, I never heard of the concept in general (i.e. whether or not with Heresy).

People come up with new ideas all the time and I think it just shows how much people like to tinker and modify. Creativity is a basic human need -- which is very good. Experimentation is fun.

OTOH, I observe it is often goes beyond the frontiers of what could possibly have merit. The usual retort to this is that everyone laughed at the Wright brothers.

It is true that the human ear / brain is better at localizing left / right displacement than up / down displacement of sources. Nonetheless, my guess is that what you're talking about will be localized by the listener. At best it will make things sound a bit odd. Localization means that the listen can determine from where the sound is originating.

There seems to be no benefit to putting the mid and tweeter on a pole -- unless this is the only way to get a clear line of sight to them. The benefits to keeping them close to each other do not arise from localization. Rather, this avoids some lobe-ing type interference between the individual drivers. We need close placement to make the overall frequency response as even as possible, perticularly on-axis toward the listener.

It seems to me there are many other projects which should be put higher on you list of things to do.

OTOH, if this is your big invention, go for it and let us know what you find.

WMcD

No this is not my invention. My friend owns these speakers and someone who does sound installations wants to do this modification. I personally don't think its a good idea because I believe it will interfere with phase coherence and ruin the resale value of the speakers. My friend is intrigued with the idea as was I and since I had never heard of it being done before I wanted to see if there was any merit to it.

I would agree with you there are better things to be done on her list than this. But if she does decide to experiment I would be more than happy to report the results.

It would be appropriate in a sound reinforcement application. The high end horns are directional and the need may be to get them up and over the crowd so everyone has a line-of-sight reception of the sound.

Per your question the idea might be to keep the woofer low on the floor for boundary support but move the high end up a little for a higher sound stage image. At first I thought idea sounded a bit extreme for “what benefit?” Then on second consideration I had to think more about it. One of the reasons I dislike the Heresy on the floor is the effect of the low image it creates for me. I prefer the image at eye level or even a little higher. Just me.

Assuming that is the goal you could mount the drivers up on a frame and aim them such that they “focus” along with the woofer on a point near a listening position. Unless you sit quite far from the speakers I fear that the overall image will be seem a bit confused. The woofer responds well into the midrange and so you will have a human voice (among other sounds) coming at you from the floor and from somewhere higher up.

Pulling the drivers and covering the horn cutouts could be done so it is reversible.

Urban: welcome to the greatest Klipsch site on the web. I am running a pair of Heresy3 today, the mid and tweeter are disconnected and the crossover has be changed for the crossover from a Klipsch CF3. On top of the cabinet the horn from the CF3 is perched and hangs over the front of the cabinet. The CF3 horn is positioned so that the centre of the compression driver top plate aligns with the centre of the woofer top plate. (more or less time aligned). I have cut out thin cardboard sectione and extended the mouth of the CF3 horn so that it is 14.5 inches wide by 15.25 high. The Heresy3 is now a two way. The time alignment is excellent, once experienced I cannot imagine anyone wanting to revert to a non aligned speaker system. The horns are positioned so thet they are one ear level when seated (approx. 38 - 39 inches). The CF3 horns with the new cardboard mouth extenders are now 40 degrees horizontal and about 50 degees vertical. I expect 40 x 40 would be even better.. A larger horn would permit lower crossover point. This has been a very interesting experiment. I see nor reason why those interested in DIY cannnot buildtheir own horns which would rival the best factory versions if they do good work. The Unity horn comes to mind. Have fun and learn as much as you can and get help when you need it. Best regards Moray James.

PS: thought I should mention that you will need a wide range driver to run two way. The mid driver from a Heresy is just that a mid driver and it will not play past 6-7KHz. I am running a Peavey 22A which is about 33 years old and which by the way sounds excedllent never the less.