I won My KLF-30!!!!! Hey Horn ED!!!

Thanks for all your advice....I got my KLF-30 on Ubid for $419!!! Plus $205 for shipping. Can't wait to get them...Anyone looking for KLF-30's go to ubid.com!!! Hey Horn ED...how did you make your KLF-30 center channel?

Thanks Michael

------------------

Michael Tangonan

Congratulations StLouisVegan... I sure would have liked to buy my six at those prices... but actually I did come out at less than half retail and have had a lot of joy.

I have posted the recipe for making a KLF-30 several times... so you might want to search for it on the Forum. I was just leaving on a trip in the motorhome and must be brief now... but I will try to elaborate more upon my return.

Basically, remove the grille, remove the motors (speakers to most folks) being sure to note which wire goes where, tap the motorboard out with a mallet... I use a rubber mallet available from Home Depot called a "DeadHead" which transfers more force with less recoil. Unless the assembler got over plentiful with the glue, your old motorboard should pop out whole and can be used as a template for the new motorboard.

On a piece of MDF (costs less than $20 for a 4' x 8' sheet) mark out a piece the exact size of the original motorboard. Mark the center of the new motorboard and use the old motorboard to mark the cutouts for the mid-range horn and the horn tweeter. If your Center is to be mounted atop a TV, be sure to place the tweeter in the lower position. That will help when it comes time to aim the tweeter.

Then, mark the woofer holes equidistantly on each side of the tweeter/mid-range. Cut the holes out and router the edges as they have done in the original. There is a technique for drilling the holes for mounting the grilles... but a little Velcro probably does a better job.

Paint the new motor board flat black so that it will not show through the grille cloth. Done correctly, the KLF-30 can be restored to its original state.

Catch you on the flip side. -HornED

PS: The whole process can take less than two hours (not counting time for several coats of paint to dry) once you know what you are doing! There is nothing like an identical main matching center for 5.1! -H.E.

This message has been edited by HornEd on 05-29-2002 at 12:04 PM

StLouisVegan:

I have been watching the KLF30's on Ebay these past 2 weeks, and even bid a few times.

The $205 shipping is for 2 speakers, so you must have bid on a pair.

If you did get both speakers for $419, that would be a GREAT deal, as I have not seen them go for less than $279 on any of the auctions I looked at.

Congrats!

Mike

------------------

1977 K-Horns

Wright Sound 2A3 Monoblocks

AMC CVT 1030 PreAmp

Jolida 602A CD

Thorens TD-165

Silverline Speaker Cables

Various Monster Interconnects.

Jobman,

It is for a pair...it was $419 each plus the $205 shipping...So it comes out too alittle over one thousand dollars...no matter...I have been drooling over these speakers for sometime now...and finally it will be realized!!! Keep checking out ubid...you might get the price you want...they have been selling the KLF-30's for at least 2 weeks now...don't know how long they will last so be quick...

Michael

------------------

Michael Tangonan