KP301's - One speaker not working.

HOGFAN

I just got a pair of KP301's, but one of them is not working properly. It has no sound coming from mid-horn or twitter....but the woofer appears to work....it rumbles. I took woofer out and checked the wires, I fixed a loose connection and one connection on terminal block that was broken. All wiring is good now. These items did not fix the problem. I also checked the fuses on the back, but they look good. Anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks,

Hogfan

Hogfan,

Very common problem you have there.

I just fixed the same in one of my KP-301's that live at a good buddy's home.

He says "there is something wrong with one of the speakers"- "it doesn't sound good like the other one...

I brought a K-53 diaphragm and a replacement K-79 tweeter.

Both were needed.

DJK's advice is right on if you don't happen to have a ton of parts laying around like I do.

By the way, check the fuses for the correct rating; Klipsch shipped them out with 20 AMP fuses that will allow your k-53 and k-79 to blow easy...

it needs a 3 amp and a 1.5 amp.

And likely, the 2 diaphragms...

I don't bother to replace them in pairs on the 301's but others my disagree with that method (what do you you do with the other diaphragms? Not sell them and if you are going to save them, why not just use them if they still sound and test good.)

Replacements are cheep (Crites has them both new, I think.)

I have used replacements for most (except for the K-53Ti, those are new.)

Noah

Thanks for all the feedback.

The guy I bought them from said he tested them before shipping, and claims they both worked great before boxing them up. When I received them, the boxes seemed to be in decent shape.....no signs of falling off a truck. But, when I hooked them up, I experienced the problem with the one speaker. I will test the driver on the tweeter and mid-horn this evening, to make sure they are good. I'll also check the fuses again, but both of them on the back of the speaker appeared to be good.....no dark or broken areas. I'll keep you posted on my findings......Thanks again for your help!

Hogfan

Ok, I finally got around to testing the resistance of the drivers with my multimeter.....the mid-horn reads 12.6, while the tweeter reads 1 (which indicates it is bad). I guess I need a replacement diaphram for the tweeter, as indicated by previous feedback. What about the mid-driver......does the reading appear to be OK?

Thanks,

Hogfan