Questions help rf 7 ii

Taccess

Hi everyone

I have just brought 2 x rf7 ii and rc 64 ii .

My first question is I want to buy 2 x xpa emotiva 1 to run the rf7 s( my question is will my rf 7 s be safe with these 2 amps?(500w rms -1000w peak)

Second question is I want to buy either the rotel 1575 or onkyo 5009 for my centre and surrounds and rears . Which av do you think will match emotivas better. (or recommend something please)

I have 2 x f3 home theatre systems running of a 1 xOnkyo 608 (which love to switch itself off) when I crank it up. So Iam upgrading and my goal with the amps is to get the biggest I can for the rf7 s that won't damage them with a future upgrade again in mind .

Because I've never used amps like what Iam buying I assume the 2 xpa 1 s will connect to either av s ?

So to put it all in perspective

2 x rf 7 ii ( 2 x xpa-1)

1 x rc 64 c (av 1575 or 5009)

Rsw 10 d subwoofer

Any help with this is appreciated 80 music 20 movies use .

Taccess,

Welcome to the forum.

Hi everyone I have just brought 2 x rf7 ii and rc 64 ii . My first question is I want to buy 2 x xpa emotiva 1 to run the rf7 s( my question is will my rf 7 s be safe with these 2 amps?(500w rms -1000w peak)

The XPA-1's will be fine with the RF7II's, too much power is better than too little power. Why not just add an XPA-3 or XPA-5 to drive your center and surrounds to keep it all in the Emotiva family. On the other hand the Class D Rotel looks like a very nice amp. Choices, choices, choices.

Second question is I want to buy either the rotel 1575 or onkyo 5009 for my centre and surrounds and rears . Which av do you think will match emotivas better.

I think the Onkyo TX-NR5009 would be a very good choice. The amps in the 5009 will be plenty to drive your center and surrounds and the 5009 is filled to the gills with all the modern features and of course Audyssey MultEQ XT32, which is the top dog.

Bill

The RMS rating given by klipsch is a max recommended power handling for the speakers with peaks (the peaks often last miliseconds). Amplifiers have power ratings as well. The XPA-1's can deliver a maximum of 500 watts @ 8 ohms and 1000 watts @ 4 ohms. Amplifiers dont not put their maximum power out at all times, if they did that, you would only have 1 volume setting (ear splitting in this case). Amplifiers are very dynamic as their power output is constantly changing as your media is changing. The XPA-1's will give you great overhead (meaning more power than they can handle RMS wise). Overhead is important with solidstate amplifiers because as their max power output is reached, they begin to send a distorted signal which is called clipping. Clipping is harmful to your speakers.

Most of us try to have 50-100 watts of overhead if possible but with klipsch speakers and a nromal listening environment, thats a ton of extra power. I am putting 125 watts to my 7's and i have no probs pushing them to club sound levels. I'd like to have more overhead but at the levels i listen to my home theater, i realistically have my overhead buffer built into that 125 watts (i can really push things and i feel emerssed into the movie).

There are a lot of brands out there that you can check out especially if you are going to dump 2 grand into 2 amps + processor. You also dont have 2 just get 2 monoblocks even though there isnt anything wrong with that. I would suggest though that you go power amps all around. You dont need 1000 watts monoblocks for the center and surrounds but it cant hurt to use a power amp for it all. check out outlaw audio as well http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/index.html, i had an emotiva XPA-5 and found my outlaw to be more detailed. Do check out rotel, parasound, b&k aracam, acurus as well as they are some good power amp brands.

Your receiver is also shutting itself off and going into protection mode because the load its driving to the 7's is too cumbersome and its trying to keep itself from burning out. Its not recommended that you drive 7's with a receiver especially with its low impedence dips.

How much power can your speaker handle, In general, look at the RMS value(continous power rating) or 250watts for the 7's. It has been recommended to get an amp at least equal to the RMS. If you use an amp 2-4x the RMS which is recommend by some audio experts, this will give you 3 to 6 db of headroom for peaks. Using an amp less that the RMS can lead to clipping under stress which is bad for speakers and the amp. Now, most forum members do not follow this guideline due to the sensitivity of Klipsch speakers. They are much easier to drive than other brands.

For example: My speaker with 97db sensitivity, sweet spot 3 meters can hit 105 db or reference level peak using 113 watts with 3 db of headroom. The RF 7's sensitivity is 101 and will need only 45 watts to peak 105 db. Your hearing will go before you use to much power from the Emotiva amps. The 3 or 5 channel amps will be a nice compliment to the the other amp, all Emotiva!

Hi Thanks for the reply

I have decided to get all emotiva ,2x XPA-1s ,1xXPa5 ---sooo i will also need 1x UMC-1????

I have just emailed emotiva for two quotes including shipping to AU (2x XPA-1,1x XPA5,1xUMC-1) 2nd quote(2x XPA-1,1xXpa5)

Never used these type of amps before so i am doing all the research to get the best understanding .

Thanks robert

There would be nothing wrong with using the Onkyo you previously mentioned. The UMC-1 is a very good processor for it's price, but it does have a few quirks like taking a while for the audio signal to come through when switching sources. You might lose that first 10 seconds of audio on the first preview on whatever movie you are watching. Other than that, I find the sound quality to be amazing. Being in Australia, I am not sure how much use you could get out of all the features the Onkyo has packed in, so you could possibly be paying for a lot of stuff you can't use as well, which is something else to keep in mind. That Onkyo is pretty expensive, if you are a DIYer, you may also have better luck with the UMC-1 and treating your room with bass absorbers etc. with the money you'd save

So far though with the RF-7ii's behind the XPA-1s, you are off to a fantastic start. You may also want to look into adding another sub as well. That RSW-10 may not be able to keep up.

I have the quote for 2x xpa -1, 1x xpa-5 , 1x umc-1. Total 4330.90 including delivery to Perth australia, 980 of that 4k is freight ,

So in a few weeks I will most certainly give a review , fingers crossed .

Thanks everyone

My friend in Australia bought a few ice cube trays online, but the company wouldn't ship to Australia so she had them sent to me so I could ship them to her. I took them to a UPS Store. They wanted 140$ to ship them to australia. The package was maybe a pound at the most. USPS wanted 40$. Not sure why there was such a big difference, needless to say though, even 40$ was way too much to spend on an icecube tray. Shipping can be quite ridiculous.

All emotiva ordered and paid. Should arrive at the same time my rf7 ii do around 14.6.12. Can't wait .

I have 4 x f3 2 x c3 4 xs3 all connected to 1 onkyo 608 and when I turn it up it turns off. This amp is onkyo to 50 on the volume control but after that it's certain to turn itself of and it is very frustrating. Though I know that this amp just isn't powerful enough

So other than the amp I am very very very pleased with klipsch f3 home theatre system that's why I have 2 of them in my lounge room . When the xpas come I will ind the time downthe track to hook 4x f3 fronts to the xpa 5 so I can hear the properly for the first time , this will be a lot after I have opened up the rf7 ii on the xpa 1s. No idea how to connect all 3 xpas up to umc never owned anything like wat is coming so I hope it's easy .

UMC-1 Manual

It's really not difficult to wire everything up. It's all pretty self explanatory. You will need 7 RCA cables though. If I understand correctly, and you are trying to build a 7.1 surround setup, it's just a matter of hooking up the 4 surrounds (your F3s) and your center to the XPA-5 via speaker cable, and then connecting RCA cables from each of the 5 channels on the back of the XPA-5 to the 4 surround and center preouts on the back of the UMC-1. And the just run an RCA cable from the front left and front right preouts to each of the XPA-1s and run speaker wire from each of the XPA-1s to their respective fronts (RF-7 IIs).

So to get the amps and speakers all hooked up, all you will need is 7 RCA cables and 7 speaker wires. From my research though, the XPA-5 can be fairly picky on the quality of RCA cables. Sometimes a faulty RCA cable will send it into protect mode, which is really just protecting itself and your speakers from power surges. So if you do need to buy the RCA cables, I suggest not getting the cheapest you can find. Monoprice.com usually works well for us in the States, not really sure what your options are in Australia. Also, I believe the shorter the RCA cables, the less interference will be picked up, as well as being cheaper, so keep in consideration how far away your amps will be from the UMC-1 when buying.

Most likely, the most time spent configuring your UMC-1 will most likely be speaker settings once you get it all hooked up. Their automatic room correction isn't the greatest, but will give you a good starting point. I am constantly tweaking my crossovers, and sometimes when I think I got it right and it sounds awesome, the next day I decide to tweak it more and make it sound even better. Bottom line is, it will sound great out of the box, and even better when you hook the microphone in and run the automatic room correction, but there are a lot of settings you can tweak to get the most out of it, if you want.

It sounds like you had a pretty faulty amp from before if you couldn't turn it up very high without it going out on you. I am thinking once you get the XPA-5 hooked up, the F3s will really open up, but at the same time, the RF-7 II's just might put them to shame being behind those XPA-1's. What you have is going to sound amazing, and I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts. We are also going to need pics when you do get it all hooked up, and any questions, please feel free to keep asking!