Paradigm servo 15a

ch11587

I just bought this sub and was wondering if I set it up correctly. Basically I turned the Hz to the 12 o'clock position and let my Marantz 6005 Audyssey do the work. Anyone have any other suggestion. Current system RF-82's RC-62's RB-62's SW-310, Servo 15a: going to be adding 2 RB-61's or 81's still deciding on that.

Any thoughts on a better sub than the SW-310?

The Paradigm Servo 15a is an awesome sub that was one of the "must have" subwoofers in the late 90's and early 2000's. It was a direct competitor with the Velodyne HGS15 and HGS18 but for a bit less $$$. Even though the Servo 15a had less power than the Velodynes, it could hold it's own against them under most conditions. I have owned two Servo 15a's and would still have one of them if I had not been so lucky to find my Revel B15 for such a great price.

Basically I turned the Hz to the 12 o'clock position and let my Marantz 6005 Audyssey do the work.

I think you mean gain(volume) control to the 12:00 position and that is a good starting point. If you feel you need more bass volume, just experiment with the sub volume knob and the Marantz sub volume level and see/hear what you like best. Louder is good, boomy louder is not.

I have the Velodyne server controlled acoustic suspension 15" sub, not a Paradigm, but they are very similar. Big beasts.

There are two ways to set up a sub, by ear and by meter. Most people have ears, fewer have meters. By ear just adjust it till it sounds 'right', then turn the sub volume down a notch because 99% of people play their subs too hot.

If you have a meter, like from Radio Shack, then you use a CD with reference tones and painstakingly set the sub to be as flat as possible with your speakers output. There is overlap, and phase issues, and about a hundred other things that probably cause interference. In the end you'll be about the same position as the 'by ear' setting, with graphs to show how correct you are.

I guess there is one other advantage to the 'by meter' method; you stop second guessing your 'by ear' adjustments and just leave it be for a year or two.