little annoying problem

sandro2

hi !

i am the happy owner of Klipsch speakers.(living in Belgium)

i have, nevertheles 2 issues:

- i can't find ANY indication on the type. they look like KLF-10, but there is one woofer and one "passive" woofer in it. bought the second 15 years ago.

i had the speakers changed, but the dealer that sold them to me, doesn't axist anymore.

- the real issue is that every time i turn the amps on and play music at low level, the sounds dissaperars after a few minutes, alternatively in one or the other speaker. when i turn the volume up and down they work again. i sometimes have to do this 5-6 times dureing the first 10 minutes and after that they work just fine.

what can i do about that ???

regards

Sandro

Sometimes the problem is with a wire connecting the amplifer to the speaker. There is a layer of oxide at the point of poor connection. It sometimes can be cured temporarily by turing up the volume. The extra voltage punches through the oxide. But then the failure usually comes back. This sort of thing is a sign to hunt down the bad wire connection.

I believe that is not the case in your situation because you mention it alternatating between the two speakers. It would be unlikely that you have a bad connection in feed wires to both speakers. You should check connections none the less for your piece of mind.

It seems to me, as others have said, it is a problem with the amplifier pair. Though the described alternating effect is hard to explain. It may well be a connection within the unit. The fact that it goes away after 10 minutes suggests that it is heat related. Sometimes the expansion of metal pieces closes a gap. But again two gaps being solved in a alternating fashion is tough to explain.

Not knowning anything about your amp - is it a classic with mechanical switches? I would suggest cycling the input selector switch and balance control, and any other switch in the path. Is there an A/B speaker switch?.

I really don't know about newer processor controlled home theater units. You might Google the model number and see if it is known problem. You might have to reset the processor.

Does this problem only occur with one type of input -- such as only radio or only CD? The problem could be there.

As far as testing to eliminate the Klipsch speakers or the feed wires. Substituting know good amps or speakers will help troubleshoot. But let me suggest trying headphones which is a less labor intensive project. I assume you say "amps" plural without saying you have two monoblock amplifiers. Generally, the headphones are fed (inside the amplifer / receiver box) from the same connections which go to the speaker output of the amplifier. Therefore, if the headphones show the alternating fading, you know it is upstream of the speakers and connections.

Let us know what you find,

WMcD

thanks for your input. i'll try out some of the things. the amps are a NAD pre amp and amplifier.

as you suggested i thought it might have been the amps. had the checked & repaired,
but unfortunatly to no avail.

ill keep you posted

greetz

Sandro

As you suggested, i thought also it was the amps. i use NAD pre amp and NAD amp.

had them checked and they also changed the pots, and had averyting cleaned. tess showed they where ok.

unfortunatly the problem is still there.

i'll try with another amp and keep you posted

greetz

sandro