The Worst Heritage Story Ever

kev313

Well for me anyway. Here is the text of an email sent to me today by Seller after my recent, and might I add quite speedy, "Buy it Now" ebay purchase of Cornwalls:

"...please do not send payment for this set, if you have sent payment, it will be returned. One of our new storage racks was built improperly and a side collapsed, causing the entire rack to collapse. The rack had most of our heavy reel to reels and some heavy receivers, these fell onto the cornwalls sitting next the rack. The housings on top are severely damaged, grills on both are ruined, woofer ripped, one horn cracked, as well as it's frame. X-700R reel to reel body badly cracked also. This was such a beautiful set and now it is just parts. I am contacting the manufacturer on these racks, we had one collapse 3 months ago, but I thought it was just a fluke. I am really concerned now. You have my sincere apologies on any inconvenience this has caused. If payment has already been sent, let me know what to do with it (return it or shred it)."

And AFTER I just posted about another set on ebay. Oh the irony.

------------------

Two Channel System:

Klipsch Fortes (1988)

Jolida 202a

Rega Planet

Denon DP 3000 tt (Stax tonearm; Grado Gold cart.)

You've got to be shitting me. Poor you AND speaker...

TIMBER!s>

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

OUCH

LOL

I am a computer technician and for more than a year I had been bi*ching to the company I am contracted to that the shelving in my shop was inadequate to deal with the weight of the monitors,PC's,Laser Printers etc. that I am required to store. The answer has always been that the shelving is adequate for our current needs and that at some later point will be upgraded if necessary.

About 2 months ago I had spent 2 days working in and around a 12 foot section of that shelving,(12' X 8'), and was just returning from a service call on another floor when I heard,(just as I was entering the lab and heading for that section of shelving with yet another 100 lb. of junk), a loud crack and then a gawd awful roar.

You Guessed It - My prediction had come true!!

Suffice it to say that a hello of a lot of PC's,Monitors,Printers and assorted junk got trashed.

Fortunately for me I wasn't working in the area when Le Merde hit Le Blades Whirling - Unfortunately for me almost everything that got crunched was obsolete and non-deployable,(God alone knows why they insist on keeping that junk after it has outlived its usefulness and the bean counters have depreciated it out of existence).

Thus there has not been any great urgency placed upon getting rid of the debris - I have simply been instructed to pile it up as neatly as possible and await further instruction. The end result is that I still have all of this scrap neatly piled where the shelving used to be and in various other places in the shop. In order to get from one end of my shop to the other I have to virtually run a maze. Bench work is out of the question except in serious emergencies as anytime my partner or I have to get at a bench for any serious work we have to move a couple of hundred pounds of scrap away from the benches and into our normal pathways through the rubble. (The contracting company pays my employer an obscene hourly rate for our services BTW)

The kicker?? - The site's coordinator came to me the other day and asked that we neaten things up as there were bigwigs coming in from head office and our shop was looking really untidy!! Fortunately,(or perhaps unfortunately),I resisted an overpowering impulse to grab a broken fuser assembly from an HP 8150 printer and deposit it "Where dat Sun Don' Nebber Shine."(That 8150 fuser unit represents about 50% of the actual dollar loss BTW.)

I have investigated the possibility of billing our client for a change of underwear - If you don't understand remember I had just spent many hours precisely where the scrap had landed - but my employer says that such a claim wouldn't fly.

The astounding thing is that the company I am contracted to is one of the fastest growing of its type on the planet. I guess if you are big enough and successful enough you really can ignore the basics of normal business efficiency for a hello of a lot longer than any smaller company could.

Anybody interested in a couple of hundred PI 120's ?

This message has been edited by lynnm on 06-02-2002 at 06:56 PM

Dude, universities CRAVE old computers for Beowolf systems and the like, they would probably even haul them away and you® company would get a phat tax write off (hey, they WERE $2000, wern't they?)

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

cluless

S**t damned near happened on that occasion 8~)> - Bear in mind that had that shelf collapsed 3 minutes later the odds are good that my wife would be sending a "Sad News" story to my forum mates. I accept that certain members would have danced a jig but my considered response to them is:

Nah nah na nah nah! FRAAAPPPPPth!s>

kenratboy

Your point is well taken but that suggestion has also been ignored by the client company time and time again. I have honestly given up on the situation and beyond covering my poofus with a string of emails to the folks in charge I have decided that the only viable attitude is Que Sera - Que Sera.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

lynnm, I know what you mean... I am lucky enough to work for a small company that is very down to earth and has a very low ego load. If ANYONE has a REAL suggestion, it is REALLY taken into consideration.

Maybe that is why my boss has so many nice cars, he takes European delivery...

------------------

JIm,

Email me if you are really serious about wanting to get intouch with that guy. I'll shoot you back all the info.

kevin

------------------

Two Channel System:

Klipsch Fortes (1988)

Jolida 202a

Rega Planet

Denon DP 3000 tt (Stax tonearm; Grado Gold cart.)