New to me ALK Trachorns

tromprof

I just picked up a used pair of ALK Trachorns from Craig at NOS Valves, apparently he has moved on to even better things. The price was quite reasonable and included K-55 drivers. I have them sitting on top of the k-horns at the moment and am very pleased with the sound. It is a lot clearer and cleaner, and I seem to be listening at somewhat higher volume levels so I would conclude they are less fatiguing to listen to as well, though I never thought the k-horns were in any way tiring to listen to before, or for that matter muddy in any way. I just disconnected the old k-400 hooked up the trachorns, and have them sitting on top of the k-horns angled down toward my sitting position. I have a Crites A/4500 crossover and his tweeters as well. Other than aesthetics, is there any reason to go through the headache of installing them in the cabinet?

Tromprof,

You could actually remove the K Horn Top Hats and set the Trachorns on top of the bass bin. It would lower the Mid Horn and possibly look a bit cleaner. of course this all depends on how you have the tweeters mounted. You can just remove the two screws from the crossover and set it on the rear of the bass bin.

Just a thought,

W. C.

I would think it is more aesthetics than anything else.

Craig at NOS used them on top of his Lascala's for years.

Craig 73

One nice thing about having them on top is I can adjust the angle differently from the bass bins. After playing around with them I have them angled a bit wider than the bass and tweeters, it seems to be a little clearer and image better.