LaScallas on ebay.

Mike,

I think I can help you out this coming saturday. Would you be planing on coming to the Island for me, and then taking 95 down? What are you driving that we can put these speakers in?

Does this guy have them set up so we can check them out.

I hate that ride down south, I had to make it twice when to the McIntosh dealer.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q - You are the man!! I would be more than happy to come by and pick you up! Yeah, it's down 95 (or the Turnpike) and we would get off at Atlantic Blvd. Duffy (the owner) said he could have them hooked up or ready to go. Colin (Flood) spent a couple of hours listening to these and told me they were worth going after. He said if I wasn't interested, he would bid on them.

As for the vehicle, I'm taking my sister's Lexus SUV. It's a very comfortable ride and I think it's wide enough in back to lay them side by side (48"). If not, I will have to stand them up and tie them back. Either way, it shouldn't be a problem. If you're serious, I will take care of breakfast and lunch, and you can even bring the tunes! Smile.gif Let me know. I was also hoping to get your opinion on staining and what not...

Mike

Mike ,

I'm so used to the sound of these speakers, it will only take 10 min. to listen to them. Low volume, ear to the tweeter, mid. horn, and head inside the folded bass horn. If all the drivers seem to be working then we crank them up and see if we hear anything strange start to happen.

If all still sounds well we tell the guy that we will take them if they truly have K33-E woofers in them. This way he won't think I'm ruining his speakers when I take off the woofer door to check. Most LaScala owners don't even know how to get at the woofer,and this can scare them.

When you were at my house, you saw how you can check out the tweeter, midrange driver. and network from the back.

Once you listen to them for a couple of months, I'll put in ALK's network in one of them. Then you can A/B them and see what you think.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

Q,

Thanks for volunteering to go down with me. It's nice to have someone that knows the ins and outs of these speakers like you do (Q-Man has 5 La Scala's in his HT). It's also nice to have someone along for the ride as well (4 hours one way). This trip should be pretty fun. We will demo the speakers at the sellers house (according to Q's plans) and then will hook them up to Colin's system and hear what they sound like on his little 3.5w tube monoblocks. Can anyone tell I'm a little excited about picking these up? Smile.gif

Mike

One of the reasons (besides its lower price and smoothness and tendency to have relatively few knots and other defects) that birch is so widely used as the veneer on cabinet grade plywood is its versatility in possible finished appearance...it can be stained to resemble black walnut, maple, or cherry, among other woods...and to a good many people who have no real woodworking experience in the real woods mentioned, the difference in the finished product is very hard to detect!!...especially when it is being passed off as cherry or maple!!

------------------

I can now receive private messages