Finally listening to my Forte's

MikeFord

I got the bug last year, bought set of Hersey's with damaged cones, hunted around for replacement drivers, then found a set of Forte's in nice shape and grabbed those. Catch is due to stuff going on in our house, they had to sit in storage for many many months, until Tuesday night at about 9:45 pm. Time for about two songs before it was too late for too loud with windows open.

I had forgotten just how much fun a new and very different set of speakers can be. Subjectly they seem wonderful, hearing all sorts of new bits in the mix, very often things I never noticed before as songs faded in or out.

I am experiencing a little fatigue, but that could be my son and the new Linkin Park album. It has some kind of distortion effect I don't think horns like, a compressed and fuzzed snare I think.

I am surprised at what has been the most pleasing, acapella and unplugged material. KD Lange 49th parallel has some amazing sounding stuff.

I got the bug last year, bought set of Hersey's with damaged cones, hunted around for replacement drivers, then found a set of Forte's in nice shape and grabbed those. Catch is due to stuff going on in our house, they had to sit in storage for many many months, until Tuesday night at about 9:45 pm. Time for about two songs before it was too late for too loud with windows open.

I had forgotten just how much fun a new and very different set of speakers can be. Subjectly they seem wonderful, hearing all sorts of new bits in the mix, very often things I never noticed before as songs faded in or out.

I am experiencing a little fatigue, but that could be my son and the new Linkin Park album. It has some kind of distortion effect I don't think horns like, a compressed and fuzzed snare I think.

I am surprised at what has been the most pleasing, acapella and unplugged material. KD Lange 49th parallel has some amazing sounding stuff.

Welcome to the forte' club...enjoy!

KD Lange 49th parallel has some amazing sounding stuff.

...but everyone knows all the music made today is a bunch of souless, over compressed, digital crap. [8-)]....right? [:P]

Try some Katie Melua if you get a chance. Her voice is like orange tea with cream and sugar to my ears. [Y]

I had forgotten just how much fun a new and very different set of speakers can be.

+1 [:D]

KD has an expressive voice, and a raw vocal seems to be one of the best sounding things with these. Charlie Louvin murder ballads is also really good.

I started noticing some distortion the other day, increasing coloration in the lower midrange. Made me think the midrange diaphragm was maybe bad in my right speaker. I called Bob Crites this morning, and he didn't think it sounded like a midrange failure and suggested I swap left and right midranges, but once I had the grilles off I could tell it was the woofer (dragging voice coil). I ordered two of the replacements and pair of titanium tweeter diaphragms, not sure how well I will be holding up waiting on fixing them. ;)

What led me to the KD Lange is strange path. I was listening to New Riders of the Purple Sage, Lonesome LA Cowboy, and my wife, who has an uncanny ear for notes, says that is the same music as another song. She couldn't remember the name, but described the lyrics a little and I recognized it as After the Gold Rush by Neil Young. This made me dig out Neil's version, followed by looking at all the versions of After the Gold Rush I could find, and the one by KD Lange was very good. Another great version is by Lais, a Belgian acappella group.

Thanks to Bob Crites and FedEx my replacement woofers arrived on time and in fine shape. I was sitting on the floor with the grill off and a screwdriver in my hand before I realized I didn't have a clue about any of the details of changing the woofer. Back to the PC for a few searches and found nothing special, but wisely made sure everything was within arms reach, then back on the floor taking out screws.

*** Note, might have been smarter if I leaned the speaker back against something or put it on its back careful to avoid damage to the passive radiator, but I have my Heresy's sitting on top, and a raw Speakerlab driver sitting on top of them, and I was in a hurry Can't say that removing the woofer with them standing straight up was wise, but no real issues.

*** Tip, take out the bottom screw last and use your thumb to keep the woofer from plopping out. Smarter would be as I said above leaning it back or all the way on its back.

*** Tip, the wires are NOT long enough to allow the woofer into any sort of convenient arrangement. Don't let the wires pull on the crossover board, carefully remove the clips with the woofer kind of sideways in the hole. Install is the reverse, be sure the woofer is fully seated in the mounting hole.

KT Tunstal sounds great, just listened to Tiger Stripes, and 6 hours of other stuff. ;)