Sheilded speaker wires...

BentMike

No, it is the zero point energy source. They are everywhere you know.

Actually, I had wired up a couple speakers in the lab where I work, but I only had a little zip cord for one. The other got another odd bit of cable that is 14GA 3 conductors and is shielded, though I didn't ground either end. (That I am in a lab is why have such an odd bit of cable.) Then I read somewhere, NEVER USE COAX FOR SPEAKERS (imagine deep, godly voice). I came hear to get the final word and I am quite pleased, you guys 'plained it well.

Many thanks,

BM

It's a function of gain. Do you need shielded cables when reading a strain gauge with microamp current levels? Sure do, because you need very high gains to make the signal usable. Do you need a shield to protect a high current audio signal? Not unless you live under a radar station. You simply can't impose enough noise on a low impedance speaker cable to be heard. Do your speakers crackle and thump during thunderstorms? Lightning can actually generate some sizable EM transients in the nearby area, yet I doubt you'll ever hear it unless it's being picked up by unbalanced line-level cables. Somebody walking by with a cell phone isn't going to phaze your speaker cables one bit, so don't waste a dime.

Mike, forget all that gibberish that everyone has been telling you.

What you really need to solve all your problems is this:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-971-cable-elevators.aspx

[:S] and it's 100% guaranteed to improve performance or your money back and you can use any kind of wire/cable you like!

[ip]

Do you need a shield to protect a high current audio signal? Not unless you live under a radar station. You simply can't impose enough noise on a low impedance speaker cable to be heard.

Not true:

http://www.eetimes.com/design/audio-design/4015821/Loudspeakers-Effects-of-amplifiers-and-cables--Part-5

The summary of the tests described in the above link is that regarding induced noise from speaker cables, even short cables can pick up noise, loudspeakers with passive crossovers exacerbate the problem, and the phenomena is amplifier-dependent.

That article is interesting.

The asymetrical behavior of the co-ax is noted. This suggests that the symetrical cross-connected co-ax design from Jon Risch should be examined.

It might also suggest a self-shielding arrangement like a star-quad speaker wire (Mogami, Canare, etc.).

It might also suggest a terminating network (like the MIT cables).

Have you read 'Around The Horn' by the same author?