BIC 980 TT

I just picked up this 980 from my father, I got it all cleaned up and ready to play and the motor almost seems like it's weak or a better way to say it is that it's not as consistant as it should be. For example, while playing a record the pitch will change just slightly enough to where you would think that the motor slowed or sped up for a slight moment.

I think it's just a cheap tt and it did sit in a garage for 15 years unused so that might also have be a problem.

Does anyone have any advise? It would be great to have another tt in the house but, the way it sounds it might be better to unload it.

I don't know about that specific model but many of the BIC tables were pretty nice at the time.

I just checked and the service manual for that model is available at http://www.vinylengine.com/library.shtml

You have to register with them in order access the library but it doesn't cost anything. They don't spam you or give out your email address.

I went ahead and downloaded the service manual and it also includes the owners manual.

In general terms it likely needs to have all of the old lubricants cleaned out and replaced. That usually fixes 90% of playback speed issues. It looks like that's a belt drive table so I would guess that a new belt is in order too. The replacement belt is available here:

http://www.lpgear.com/product/BIC24.html

Good luck to you!

Does the pitch variance light work? Does it show any change in rotation speed?

I have not owned the top-of-line BIC but a couple of things come to mind. The belt has likely sat in one position for many years. The rubber tends to dry out and deform so that as it rotates the elasticity varies.

Second is the main table bearing that may be gummed up or dry. Not sure how to access but it should be fairly straight forward.

Here is a copy of a service manual. You will need to register at the site to get access.

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/bic/980.shtml

Edit: well there goes JHOAK just a step ahead of me!

Thanks for the help guys, very cool! David, you're probably right on about that belt setting in the same position causing a slight stretch in that part of the belt.

The pitch light does work and the speed does change. I think a new belt and some lube and that old table should be good to go.

I will register for the service manual soon.

[Y]