McIntosh power amp repair question

artto

I have a MC7205 in which the lowest set of front panel lamps, the one(s) that light the McIntosh logo do not light.

The vertical aluminum end caps (side bars) of the front panel have a pair of 40x1/2 tap screws holding them to the chassis. These tap screws seem awefully tight to me. Any suggestions on how to remove them? Obviously I don't want to damage anything in the process. Or do these even have to be removed at all in order to access the lamp panel?

I'd just take it for service if it weren't for the many weeks it takes to get a simple thing like this done. Grrr

I have never seen a McIntosh that needed the end caps removed to service the lamps. Frequently, removing the top cover is all that is needed. Sometimes the entire front plate must be removed as well, or a circuit board to get to the front side.

Thnx dj. That will make things a lot easier.

I am still considering replacing one of the vertical aluminum end caps as it is dented on the bottom. Any tricks as to how to get these off? The tap screws seem extremely tight. I was thinking of putting a freeze pack on the bar and using some compressed air on the screw to try and loosen it.

This is what I would do since it sounds like the screw(s) are not going to come out without a fight.

In my attempt to not damage the screw head or have the screwdiver slip off and scratch the cabinet or end cap I would put a drop or two of a penetrating oil around the base of the screw head. Kroil or WD40 should work. Let it sit for 15-30 minutes(longer if necessary) and attempt screw removal with the proper size screwdriver. Once the screw is out, I would wipe off any oil left behind. Even if you do not see any oil, wipe off the area with a mild soap and water mixture.

Good Luck. Screws can be so tough.