Fisher 800C Problem

Gregorius

Greetings Gentlemen,

I just received my Fisher 800C yesterday. It is in good shape with one small problem. All tubes light up, tunes in AM/FM stations, but there is no output from the speaker terminals or headphone jack. I tried swapping tubes and inputs, but no luck there isn't any hum or distortion or anything. Is this a simple fix or did I get screwed! (Ebay)

Thanks,

Greg

Before we go into deeper solutions, make SURE you have the right selections for the source/outs and well as your inputs. On many of these older pieces, it can be confusing. I am not totally familiar with this Fisher (I think someone here has this model, however) but I have seen this be a simple problem of source/input/out selector/hookup connection many times. Double check all your connections and the front panel controls. Then recheck again.

Most of these early pieces have different speaker outs for 4/8/16 ohms. Try to connect to another out here to see. You said you tried the outputs, but did you attempt to connect all?

Are you getting ANY sound? A crackle? Anything?

Here's hoping it's something simple. If not, you need to move into the next step of troubleshooting or opt for the return(I would write the seller and say it's not working right away just to start the communication. Keep it polite though so you have options here).

kh

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 06-04-2002 at 08:44 AM

Mobile Homeless,

I tried switching source inputs, speaker selections, etc to no avail. There is no sound whatsoever from the speakers, or headphones except when inserting the headphone jack I get a little static until the jack is fully inserted.

Greg

------------------

HK AVR20 II

Toshiba DVD

32" Toshiba TV

Odyssey Stratos

1976 LaScala's Front L&R

KV-1 Center

KG 1.5 Rear L&R

KSW-12 Sub

mdeneen,

It does have a ground wire coming out the back. it is hooked to a terminal strip that determines the impedance of the speakers, and it is hooked up. I did turn up volume all the way up, worked all the switches, and still nothing.

The 7591's are in very good shape and are all lit up with a faint red glow from one spot near the top. All are lit up the same. You are probably right with it being a wiring problem though.

I tried various switch positions, I hooked the speakers up to speaker1, Speaker2, hooked up a CD player, to AUX, Phono, I hooked up my phono up to the Phono inputs, installed a FM antenna, tuned in a station, meter indicated a station in AM and FM, and no sound through the speakers or headphone jack. If I remove the headphone plug from the jack, I get a little static until the plug is fully seated, then dead silence, no static, hum or noise.

The guys are probably right here. I would suspect something much more minor as the solution. Did the seller "know his stuff" or was it one of those estate sales (cliche of the decade) or a "all tubes seem to light up" type? See if he had any problems with loose connections or suggestions. I have a feeling the problem is under your nose somewhere and not a major horror.

kh

Mobile,

It was more like "works, Telefunken tubes, US 7591 output tubes", etc. He probably bought it at an "estate sale" I am going to take it to a tech anyway since I am "schematically challenged" and have him to replace the selenium rectifier bridge, coupling caps, etc, so I am sure he will make it a nice reliable unit.

Thanks,

Greg

mdeneen,

I think I have it solved, one of the inmates at the vintage asylum has a 500C and I discovered I do not have the jumpers on the Fisher tube reverb inputs and outputs and that it essentially is preventing the signal from passing from the preamp to amp stage.

I am supposed to be working, so I cannot find out until after work. I am still going to take it to a tech for a check up even if this works.

thanks for the assistance,

Greg

My 800B Manual refers to them as jumpers between the Spacexpander Jacks. Seems Fisher had a reverb that they called Spacexpander, Model K-10 is referenced in my manual. But those jumpers were to be reinserted when the reverb jacks were not connected to a Spacexpander unit. Geeeez, the seller should have know those would be needed!

If you have difficulty finding the original jumpers, Paul Grzybek may have an extra set from spare parts. Paul's email address is: paul@2baudio.com. Here's a link to his web site: http://www.2baudio.com/

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>