If you had to choose one EQ Sub unit which would you and why?

Dylanl

If it were me and I wanted to use direct-radiating subs, I'd use the same model and make of sub all the way around in order to match group delay curves.

Otherwise, it's just like listening to stereo (i.e., two channel) using two different types of speakers, one type for the left and a different type for the right. This wouldn't be my preference [:D]

Chris

If it were me and I wanted to use direct-radiating subs, I'd use the same model and make of sub all the way around in order to match group delay curves.

Otherwise, it's just like listening to stereo (i.e., two channel) using two different types of speakers, one type for the left and a different type for the right. This wouldn't be my preference Big Smile

Chris

I think he was looking for EQ suggestions like BFD or minidsp. Your comment about similar subs is duly noted.

My apologies... I didn't read.

By the way, I use a Crown XTi-1000 power amplifier to do the EQing to my tapped horn subs - you get a lot of power (1KW strapped into 8 Ohms) and full built-in DSP - which is even more capable than my EV Dx38 speaker processors in terms of the steepness and type of the digital crossover filters. The price is good. However, it doesn't have Audyssey in-room closed loop EQing, however - that part is extra.

Chris

To answer the OP's question...I have a Velodyne DEQ-12r which was replaced by the EQ-Max series. The specs are very similar. I have heard the 10" EQ-Max and it sounded very similar to my 12". I have been very pleased with the performance of the Velodyne. Letting it figure out phase and EQ made a positive difference in the sound in my room. I did not have the option of putting the sub where it sounded best. Rather, I had to put it where it looked best in the room.

• Like 1

Honestly, the cost to feature ratio of the Behringer Feedback Destroyer is almost impossible to beat.. Period..

It has dual channels, so right off the bat you have the ability to EQ 2 subs independently with a single unit.

I agree whole heartedly and actually have a BFD. The downside is there's a bit of a learning curve to using it. At least there was for me.

If you can find a used SVS AS-EQ1 or Audyssey SUB-EQ [Y]

In time saved fussing with setup and consistency of the end result, they are truly worth every penny.

Hands down.

To get the most out of other options you need to be really savvy with REW or the like, and that route is not everyone's cup of tea.