Missing Tweets, K-76

MikeFord

I must be nuts, with now nicely working Forte's, and Heresy's waiting on woofer fixing, I found a pair of Quartets, but the tweets have been replaced for some reason with a slightly smaller looking tweeter of some kind (cell phone picts). The guy says "they sound fine", but I kind of doubt that will keep me from wanting something original quality or better. Suggestions from cheap to not very cheap appreciated. ;)

Am I even likely to like the Quartets or should I keep my eye open for a Chorus or better?

replace the tweeters with a set of K79 with ti diaphragms better than new. The Quartet is a Forte ll with a ten inch woofer what's not to like? What are you looking for and what is it you would like to achieve? A Chorus ll is a Forte ll with a fifteen inch woofer. Do you like ten twelve or fifteen inch woofers? If you can buy a set of each and see which one you like best then sell the others. Good luck and best regarda Moray James.

replace the tweeters with a set of K79 with ti diaphragms better than new. The Quartet is a Forte ll with a ten inch woofer what's not to like? What are you looking for and what is it you would like to achieve?

A Chorus ll is a Forte ll with a fifteen inch woofer. Do you like ten twelve or fifteen inch woofers?

If you can buy a set of each and see which one you like best then sell the others. Good luck and best regarda Moray James.

I've been doing this since the middle 70's, clearly at this point I have no destination.

Yes.

Sell, hmmm, I guess that could happen, hasn't so far. ;) Condo living room has Quad ESL63's in stands with Signet SL280 on top, next to them the Forte's with the Heresy's on top of them and a raw 12" on top of that. RC7 on top of ancient crt TV with Clements center on top of that, Clements R&L on my desk (not used, I have PCWorks speakers for the PC). A dozen or so M&K cabinets in the garage along with a Contrabass kit (no cabinet).

What is tempting other than more speakers, is a chance to try out different midrange horns.

Ultimately I think once I have a better idea of what I want for a subwoofer, then I will look at building something to match it. A dual woofer tapped horn is what is looking best right now.

K-79 is a Chorus II or Cornwall tweeter?

What about some non Klipsch tweeter options?

OK,

You have been on the merry go round for a while. I just wanted to warn that it is really easy to stockpile a bunch of speakers as you keep stumbling across good deals. I did it years ago and had to clear out the inventory.

If the speakers are cheap and you can recoup your investment, even with the price of new or replacement tweeters, then go for it if you wish.

Beyma makes a CP25, JBL makes a 2404, and Crites has a replacement tweeter. May need to attenuate.

Ah the collecting thing is one of the signs of the addiction me too. The K79 is a fantastic tweeter with a very wide band available. The K79 is used in the Tangents uned in the H2 in the Forte (1 & 2) the Chorus (1 & 2) the Cornwall2 and a host of others. Yes you could use another tweeter but then you have to make crossover changes and this one (K79) is a fine tweeter especially with the titanium diaphragm installed.Physically alligning the top plate of the tweeter with the top plate of the mid driver makes for a significant immprovement. A number of members here have alligned tweeters with mids on LaScala's.

As to midrange horns bigger is always better. You should perhaps have a listen to a set of CF3 or4 but raise them up so the horns are at ear level. Take a look at the Peavey MFX-1 which will run in a home set up from 300Hz up to 18 KHz 14.25" high x 28.5" wide x 18.5" deep. If you want more than that time to look at Tom Danley's Synergy horns. A a mid horn the one in the Quartet Forte ll and Chorus ll is very nice sounding horn the horn in the CF3/4 is better and runs up to 20 KHz which the the Chorus ll horn cannot. In the Klipsch line up the ultimate will be the K402. Good luck, check out the Peavey a FH-1 with a MFX-1 you can find for peanuts add some sweat equity and go. Best regards Moray James.

the tweeter in a Quartet has the same horn as a K79 but thats where the similarities end. The tweeter in the Quartet has a somewhat smaller magnet and a different diaphragm than a K79 which has a slightly larger magnet and a phenolic diaphragm. I just swap out the Quartet tweeter for a K79 and instal the ti diaphragm and then do some damping to the motor inside and out and to the horn istself. Klipsch needed to give you a reason to upgrade from a Quartet to a Forte ll afterall. Hope this helps. Best regards Moray James.