Onkyo M-504

ChipByrd

Not sure what you mean by newer, but a properly working preamp of any age should be fine. The ideal preamp should not exert any sonic influence ( of course, they all do). What are you trying to accomplish? Are there features of interest to you found in some modern preamps that are not available in older models? The M-504 doesn't have any special requirements that would make using it with any preamp a bad idea. Some more info would be helpful. Regards--- Maynard

Thanks. I have been trying to sell the M-504, but it hasn't garnered much interest. Consequently, I am thinking about using it for a system in my garage. I have the P-306, but I definitely want a remote if it is in the garage. By "newer" I am thinking about a Rotel RC 1082. (There's one for sale locally I can get a good deal on.). I have never matched items from completely different generations.

Thanks. I have been trying to sell the M-504, but it hasn't garnered much interest. Consequently, I am thinking about using it for a system in my garage. I have the P-306, but I definitely want a remote if it is in the garage. By "newer" I am thinking about a Rotel RC 1082. (There's one for sale locally I can get a good deal on.). I have never matched items from completely different generations.

As I recall, the M-504 never really caught on for some reason. I knew someone who bought one when it first came out and it seemed like a decent enough amp. If the price for the Rotel is right, I'd buy it as long as it is working well. Even if it doesn't have a perfect synergy with the Onkyo, for a garage system it should be quite adequate. I can't imagine it will sound all that different from any other solid state preamp.

Maynard